Personal Journals about Hang Gliding

Re: Other dangerous sports news

Postby Rick Masters » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:44 pm

Paragliding

Good thing paragliders in thunderstorms don't have carbon wingtips.
That would be dangerous!

Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:42 am

Paragliding or Paramotoring
Cascade Paragliding Club ›
PG Accident 6/3 [2018]
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/cpcl/7vWK5dH-TuA

Travis potter
Jun 7

Good morning,

... I've been known to fly without a radio alot, and I've been intentionally trying to fly with one always. On this day I had one and nobody else had one, small detail, but being able to tell this pilot he was obviously too deep in the brakes during his flight could have potentially averted this disaster. I gave away a spare radio once so a pilot would have one, and I think I'm gonna get it back so I can always have two. I can't say for sure, but I am pretty sure I would have offered the pilot my spare since I knew he was a new free flyer....
    This weekend there was a significant injury accident at Fort Ebey. I share my account so that lessons can be learned.
    Conditions were a great day at Ebey. Pretty direct wind in and on the lighter side of doable. If you were able to establish yourself above the upper ridge you were home free. Nobody had to use bar to penetrate, and after 45 mins conditions seemed to be lulling a little bit.
    There were two gliders in the air down the ridge, one landed in the middle of Ebey, so I set up my approach on the north side of the ridge and landed. I looked up to see a glider in a massive wingover, wing 90 degrees out in front and heard the impact from my position 200 yards away.
    I instructed 911 to be called, never assume somebody is calling 911, always assign somebody to.
    I got to the pilot who was unconscious and appeared to be having some labored breathing although his airway was clear. Because his airway was good we left him in his helmet and stabilized him in place. Pete was already working on getting his harness loosened and while we didn't want to move him, I wanted to get him disconnected from the wing in case a gust came through.

After a quick assessment I spoke with dispatch and communicated 3 things.

1. He was unconscious
2. Having trouble breathing
3. HE FELL FROM GREATER THEN 30 FEET

This is a key takeaway for all pilots. A fall greater then 20 feet meets whats called "Trauma Criteria" and it means you need to go to Harborview in Seattle, or OHSU in Portland, the Level 1 trauma centers. It also usually gets the ball rolling quickly on a helicopter, which played a key role in saving the life of this pilot. Any of us can tell dispatch something like that.
    Airlift Northwest in the Seattle Area carries blood on their helicopters. I'm not sure if Lifeflight does in Oregon, but they are pretty legit so probably.
    A park aide went out to make sure the ambulance and fire folks knew where we were, always a good idea. A Sheriff Deputy was the first on scene and I asked that he update the crew with a request to land the Helicopter on Launch at Ebey, which became the plan.
    I assigned Ryan to get all the wings on launch under over and with weight on them in anticipation of a quick arrival, the nearest base is in Arlington, short flight direct and NAS Whidbey is very good about clearing airspace rapidly for medical flights. I can't be sure, but I would guess the NAS controllers vectored the constant seaplane traffic away as well.

Cause:

The pilot was flying a Motor wing, in a motor harness. He received Motor instruction, and was a former hang glider pilot for many years, but had not received a P2 rating.
    The pilot was deep in the brakes the entire flight, and had two right arms, constantly staying in the ridge in the best lift both directions. He was so deep in the brakes I intentionally flew farther out so my rotor would be minimal and to get close enough to yell at him effectively would have expose myself to more risk then I was willing to take on.
    He was on the south end of the ridge appearing to be setting up to land when he turned left into the Hill at too high an altitude to land by far. As he initiated that left turn he spun the glider between 90 to 180 degrees left with brake input on the spun left side to pull the wing into a massive wingover. There was a enough counter brake on that he was falling through the recover arch and not in a spiral when he hit in a seated position onto the flat ground. HIs motor harness had minimal protection but even the most bomb acro harness probably wouldn't have been of much help.
    I'm not sure how many flights he had at Ebey, but I believe it was the only site he had been flying. His skills were beginner for sure, and in the complex balance of saying something verses not, I think in retrospect a tougher stance that Ebey is an USPHA Site and requires membership could have had a potential impact in preventing this accident.

Takeaways:

For me personally, I will be more proactive in asking folks that are not rated or blatantly making bad decisions not to fly at USHPA launches. It is fortunate that the State Parks did not ask to see his rating, or if he was a rated pilot in the accident review process. I'd rather piss somebody off then put another person in a helicopter or hear the thud of a body impacting ground.
    I will start carrying a spare radio again, and insist people fly with theirs.
    Outcome: The efforts at Harborview to save the pilot from extremely grave injuries are nothing short of miraculous. He received over 100 units of blood, many times the human blood volume.
    I propose that all the PNW clubs should find a blood drive to participate in to replace the divot.

Thank you,

----------------

So...
Paragliders can be difficult to fly.
They can crash. In fact, they crash all the time - just not at Ebay State Park, so they tell me.
Therefore hang glider pilots flying from state land under state recreational liability law who refuse to tithe the USHPA guild must be stopped.
That doesn't make sense.     :wtf:
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Paramotorbuggying
    https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=b2c_1518446836
    How to bugger your buggy.

Paragliding
    https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=bfc_1482982913
    Off-duty hang glider pilot takes his first ride on a paraglider.

Dust-deviling
    https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=68b_1461233101
    Looks like a new extreme sport in the making!

We don't need no stinkin' airframes
    https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=b9b_1460758292
    "I'd rather die than carry a hang glider!" he said.
    Note how this illustrates the complete randomness of collapse.

The new USHGA - It's all about free-flight!
    https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=d31_1504555193
    Join the USHPA - Protect your right to fly!
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Other SAFE but dangerous sports news

Postby eagle » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:24 am

Infinite Tumble Tandem at Soboba | Got sick mid air | Graphic content warning!

OUR OWN LOCAL Max Marien
At one point held the world record for infinite tumble. He called me and asked if I wanted to try to do a tandem on his acro tandem wing. I said yes and we went to soboba. I got sick in the air. Yes I recorded it. That's why I had to put the graphic content warning on there. Max told me that there are only a handful of wings that are considered acro wings that are made for tandem. He also told me that I am on the short list of those who have done the infinite tumble on a tandem flight... See Video: https://youtu.be/v16mauzxcUI

Also, make sure to subscribe to Max's Channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Ye...
eagle
Contributor
Contributor

Other USHPA dangerous sports news

Postby eagle » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:47 pm

WHOOO ARE YOU KIDDING
Hey Max ,... yA pUNK
Take you illegale opperagion off line

The DAVE JEBB POLICE Cartel and City Crime Family

The same police related crime family has me under a threat,...
for the last 25yrs pluss
sEE hISTORY: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2570&start=40

Public Exploitation of our public recreational freedom
by a corrupted City Contract and unelected Leaders

GET A CLUE to the facts
We are paying a two nasty corrupted private parties
to use a Our Free Public Park
eagle
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:24 am

Paragliding        June 1, 2018
The smaller tag marks the point of impact.

By my incomplete count, this man was the 1,689th person to die on a paraglider. Flying on a very unstable day, his paraglider must have collapsed in turbulence and he threw his reserve parachute, which apparently deployed. However, he descended onto a rocky hillside, likely into gusty conditions near the ground, and suffered head injuries upon impact. When he did not arrive at his goal, a helicopter search was called but all aircraft were grounded by severe thunderstorms. He was found dead early the next morning, located by the passive signal from his cell phone.

Why, you might ask, was a man soaring a critically balanced parachute near thunderstorms?

The truth is, this happens a lot. Go figure.

----------------------------------------------------

When hang gliders became cross country capable at the end of the 1970s,
        Don Partridge decided to hold cross-country competitions in Owens Valley.
        In the 1982 documentary Aoli, Comet Clones & Pod People, Don said:

"We had the very first Classic and everyone was just...
        You could feel the fear from people wondering:
        'Could hang gliders really fly in afternoon turbulence in the Owens Valley?'
        That was the main thought on my mind the season, the winter before Worthington came up here, was:
        "This is the deciding point in hang gliding history.
        Can...
        If these things can actually fly in this place, this most turbulent place an earth, in the most turbulent time of day,
        then they're going to prove themselves as worthy aircraft.
        Otherwise, they're just toys."

http://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=2832&sid=077da9d6333be425d70df72101af02fe&sid=268fb7a9f4bd84c102d3fac61dbca8b8#p21550

It was common, in those summers, for thunderstorms to build in the afternoon.
The young wisps of cloud-street cumulus that looked so enticing at launch time would often mature into monstrous, towering thunderstorms by afternoon.
Often pilots racing along the White range would encounter overdeveloped nimbocumulus, rich with booming lightning, dropping wide columns of cold hail and rain onto the ridge.
They would either wait for the storm to drift back or, braving the turbulence, they would dare to skirt its flanks.
Sometimes they would dive through the deluge to reach the sunlit slopes on the other side.
We were determining the limits of what hang gliders could survive.
It was dangerous.
This was big-boy-pants stuff.
It took brave and capable men (and a few women) to fly these hang gliders into the unknown.

It was dangerous.
But it wasn't stupid.
We proved that hang gliders could survive in significant turbulence.

For 20 years, paragliding enthusiasts have tried to prove that thay can do with paragliders what we did with hang gliders.
Instead, they have proven that paragliders are vastly inferior aircraft.
And much more dangerous.
Unlike hang gliders, paragliders cannot handle turbulence well.
More than a thousand paragliding fatalities in turbulence demonstrate this.
But most of all, by trying the same thing over and over again, by expecting a different result yet never achieving it, they have proven their own stupidity.
Paragliders are not worthy or airworthy aircraft.
Paragliders collapse and kill their operators.
Hang gliders don't.
That's the way it is.
Paragliders are just toys.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:44 am

Paragliding fatality #1,691        June 14, 2018

This man, a father of two, is having lots of fun:
https://res.cloudinary.com/trell/video/upload/user-videos/videos/orig/OpSHAQDbMlftWbKesknf.MP4

So much fun, in fact, that he decided to take another paragliding joyride on June 14.
This time, things didn't go so well.
We are not told exactly what happened, but the men hit the ground hard during landing approach.
The happy passenger apparently snapped his back in two.
The commercial operator shattered both legs.
The happy passenger died in a hospital that evening.

The president of the local paragliding association, of course, told the press how safe tandem joyriding was.
He did not mention that, in the event of a hard crash, it is safer for the commercial operator than for the client because the client, more often than not, serves as a hydraulic cushion for the operator upon impact.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:11 am

Paragliding fatality # 1,693
Collapse.

"We don't need no stinkin' airframes!"

The random-death-by-collapse theme song.

She was playing Russian Roulette and died doing what she loved...

What is this thing that drives them to risk random-death-by-collapse?
It's not the joy of flight.
That and all that comes with it can be had by hang gliding without the fear or risk of collapse.
It's something else.
Perhaps it is state of flow hacking carried to a potentially lethal and illogical extreme:

More: The Darkside of Flow
https://www.theinertia.com/surf/flow-st ... e-of-flow/
"But the majority of the athletes that have lost their lives in recent years have almost all been the best at their sport."

Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:11 am

Paragliding        PG fatality # 1697
ImageImage
Collapse. Spiral or twist. Reserve toss. Entanglement.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:20 am

It is 11 am on Sunday.
So far in the past 24 hours, I have reports of three fatalities, a broken back, a broken pelvis and a fractured skull.
All in paragliding, of course. Sounds like fun.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics