RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Weekend Weather

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Weekend Weather

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:02 am

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 21 (Winter Solstice) through SUNDAY, DECEMBER 23:
Now, isn't this a pleasant change. This weekend looks flyable pretty much every day, and pretty much all over the area. We are entering a dry spell, after getting a bit of moisture several days ago. It looks like a white Christmas is not in the cards. The temperatures will be unusually warm for December, with highs in the 60 to 70 degree range, Fahrenheit. (That's 16 to 20 degrees C, and pleasant no matter how you measure it.) The main loop of the jetstream has now passed us by, so we should get some light to moderate west and southwest winds for the next several days. Friday: Light southwest in Alamogordo and El Paso, light to moderate (5 to 10 mph) in Deming and Las Cruces. Saturday: Light SW again in Alamogordo, moderate (10-15) W-SW in Las Cruces, El Paso and Deming. Sunday, still light SW in Alamo. Light and variable (mostly west) in El Paso. Light to moderate S-SW in Las Cruces, and light W-SW in Deming (5-10 mph). So here are my recommendations. On Friday, you can fly almost anywhere. Dry Canyon, La Luz, Magdalena Rim, Little Floridas, Agave Hill, Nelson's Launch - they should all be working. On Saturday, the same, except take Mag Rim off the list - it gets turbulent if there's too much west in the wind direction. On Sunday, look at Dry Canyon and La Luz, Mag Rim and the Little Floridas - and maybe the El Paso SW sites, if it's not too light. I am hoping to go out to Magdalena Rim with Bill Cummings on Friday, hoping to be at the launch between 10:00 and 11:00 am - let me know if you'd like to join us! Otherwise, keep me apprised of your own flying plans, and maybe I'll be joining you. Fly safe, and have a great time while the good weather lasts. Laissez les bon temps roulez!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:08 pm

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 28 through SUNDAY, DECEMBER 30, 2018:
Ah, yes. I told you so. Even though my Dry Canyon flight last Sunday was a sled ride, it was a PLEASANT sled ride. Lovely temperatures, light winds, clear skies... OK, now we pay for it. A major storm system has come through today (Wednesday Dec. 26) and it comes with jetstream intact. We can expect strong winds and rain on Friday, turning to snow in higher places (read: Alamogordo). It's going to be cold as well - high temperatures around 40 degrees Fahrenheit (about 5 Celsius). A blowout all over, and frigid to boot. Saturday gets milder, the jetstream having moved on eastward, briefly, with north/northeast winds, and only Alamogordo getting the snow & rain this time. Wind strengths will be in the 5-10 mph range, except in Deming where they will be more like 10-15 mph. Sunday will also be bitterly cold, with high temps only getting to 40 F, but at least the winds won't be trying to kill us - they'll be light and variable, 5 mph or less. Again, no jetstream, at least for a day or so. My recommendations for airtime? Well, Volcanic Peak looks good on Saturday morning, but if you go there, dress REALLY warm. Otherwise, I can't endorse anything in aviation this weekend, unless Hadley is towing at the Sod Farm on Sunday - and even that looks chancy. Let's hope for better conditions next year.
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:25 pm

FRIDAY, JANUARY 4 through SUNDAY, JANUARY 6, 2019:
The New Year is here! And, to some extent, the weather is improving. We can expect much nicer temperatures this weekend over last, with highs in the 50s Fahrenheit. Winds should be light, though. On Friday expect light NW winds everywhere, except Deming, where they will probably be easterly. On Saturday, light SW winds in Alamogordo, light NW in El Paso, and light southerly winds in the Las Cruces area. Light and variable in Deming. On Sunday the winds get a little better, but there could be rain over most of the area. Expect light S-SW in Alamogordo, light W in El Paso, light W-SW for Las Cruces, and light to moderate West in Deming. So - you might try flying La Luz on Friday, and maybe Saturday, since it will work with either NW or SW winds. On Saturday it is possible that Magdalena Rim will work for PG's - it's too light for HG's, I think. On Sunday a PG might fly at Agave Hill or Nelson's Launch, but there's a good chance it'll get rainy, too. All in all, this is not our best weather - but at least it should be warm. Good luck, everyone! And be safe...
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:43 pm

Any chance that the roads on the northern facing slope of Dry will still have snow?
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:59 am

I expect that the road up to Dry Canyon launch is going to be snowed in for at least another week. There was a lot up there when I saw it last Sunday, and we've had more snow since then.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:35 pm

FRIDAY, JANUARY 11 through SUNDAY, JANUARY 13, 2019:
Looks like typical winter conditions for our region this weekend. Friday might see a bit of rain in Alamogordo, but it's probably dry everywhere else. After Friday, things should be dry all over the area. We can expect high temperatures anywhere from 50 F to 60 F (about 10 to 15 C) depending on where you are. Winds? On Friday, a blowout from the west in Deming, Las Cruces and El Paso, but 5-10 mph from the northwest in Alamogordo. La Luz could be good that day - except for the rain. On Saturday, 5 mph SW in Alamogordo, east 5-10 in El Paso, E/SE 5-10 in Las Cruces, east at 10 in Deming. This day, La Luz might work, or Anapra, or Torrey Paso west of El Paso. Same kind of forecast for Sunday. (I'm not suggesting Dry Canyon yet, because I don't know if the road up there is still snowed in.) I'd say you could get some flying in this weekend, and it might be good if you choose the right site. Dress warm and have fun!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:14 pm

FRIDAY, JAN. 18 through SUNDAY, JAN. 20:
This weekend is, at least, fairly predictable. We should stay dry - the big California rainstorm is likely to pass us to the north - and fairly warm. High temperatures are about 55 to 60 F (15 to 18 C) through the weekend. It'll be really windy on Friday. Hunker down and listen to it howl, most of the day. On Saturday, as the jetstream passes to the east, things get a whole lot calmer, and that continues into Sunday. On Saturday expect winds 5-10 mph from the northwest in Alamogordo (La Luz might be good) light west in El Paso (Agave Hill or Nelson's Launch for PG's) and light S-SE in Deming (no good there). In the Las Cruces area, winds start out light to moderate NE, so Volcanic Peak might work if you go out early; by late afternoon, light south, so PG's might want to look at a flight from Mag Rim about then. Sunday, it's light east in Deming all day, light & variable everywhere else. Dry Canyon might work (or might not) and Mag Rim might be very light S-SW late, so a PG could launch there if it looks OK. Looks to me like towing at the Sod Farms could be the surest bet of all, Saturday and Sunday. Good luck surviving Friday, and the rest of the weekend, enjoy the fine weather. We may not get epic flying this time of year - but we sure can see some pleasant days. Be safe!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:59 pm

FRIDAY, JANUARY 25 through SUNDAY, JANUARY 27:
This is the weekend for our annual RGSA meeting on Saturday evening, and I hope that everyone will make it there. (Red Lobster Restaurant at 800 Sunland Park Dr. in Sunland Park, 7:00 pm.) But there's also some good possibilities for airtime this weekend. It'll be dry, and seasonable in temperature (highs around 55 to 60 F). Winds won't be too bad, either. Friday they should be light, mostly NE, but NNW in Alamogordo and east in Deming. You might try La Luz for some airtime that day. On Saturday, it's light NNW in Alamogordo again. light NW in El Paso, and moderate NE in Deming. Ah, but in the Las Cruces area the winds should be moderate to strong NE, which makes Volcanic Peak a good bet for some fine, fun ridge soaring. On Sunday, winds are light W-NW in Alamogordo, light west in El Paso (Nelson's Launch and Agave Hill might work) and light SW in both Las Cruces and Deming - so both Mag Rim and the Little Floridas are possibilities. There was good PG soaring at Mag Rim last Sunday - could we dare to hope for a reprise of that day? Be safe, wherever you go! I think I want to try Volcanic Peak this Saturday, if anyone wants to join me.
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:38 pm

64,213 views total Robin. :salute:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:17 pm

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 1 through SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3:
Looks like a pretty good flying weekend, to start. Reasonably warm (high temperatures about 65 F, or 15 C) and dry. We get a blowout on Superbowl Sunday, so don't even bother that day - see what the ads look like, and the pummeling when the game gets going. (Wouldn't it be interesting if the Patriots lost for a change?) However, Friday and Saturday look pretty good for a lot of our sites. Winds will be generally west-southwest throughout the area on Friday and Saturday, light to moderate in strength. Your possible flying sites are Dry Canyon, La Luz, Magdalena Rim, Little Floridas, Nelson's Launch and Agave Hill. Go a little early, just in case it builds up, but you should have some good soaring at any of these sites those days, both PG and HG. Training at the Sod Farms should be exemplary, too. I don't know what my own schedule is going to be, Friday and Saturday, but give me a call and I should be able to tell you. Be safe and have fun, everyone!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association