Dawn of a new Day

Austin Free Flight Association Forum - Austin Texas

Re: Dawn of a new Day

Postby SamKellner » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:55 pm

cascpa wrote:Hello,
There seems to be a SW US movement

Charlie,

Torrey Pines Glider Port in San Diego, Ca. is as far SW as you can get in the USA. The "movement" is ongoing, :thumbup: there, as much as anywhere, actually more so.

I hope you have taken the time to watch BobK's video meetings with City Council. The city corruption is one thing but in this case it has effected the Glider Port, for years.

By bringing this out to the public, it helps our, non Reg3, chances of flying Torrey, and saving HG at Torrey Pines.

Again, I hope you recognize the progress already accomplished by US Hawks efforts.

:wave:
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cascpa » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi Sam,
I do recognize the progress made. That is why we are here. I also appreciate the progress you have made at Leaky.
Charlie
cascpa
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:53 pm

And it's GREAT to have you here Charlie!!!      :thumbup: :clap: :wave: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :wave: :thumbup: :clap:

Here's the current map of US Hawks Chapters and Potential Chapters:

Hawks_Chapters_2013_12_12s660.png
Hawks_Chapters_2013_12_12s660.png (113.41 KiB) Viewed 10424 times

Two of those 7 Chapters (Lakeview and MoHawks) are somewhat questionable regarding their viability, but the Torrey Hawks, Tooele Hawks, and South West Texas Hang Gliders are all alive and well. If the RGSA and AFFA become Chapters that might get the snowball rolling. You guys are getting in on the "ground floor" as they say.

That does look like progress!!!
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:45 pm

Put a pin in the map for Tommy. :thumbup:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:06 am

billcummings wrote:Put a pin in the map for Tommy. :thumbup:

:srofl:

Good suggestion. Tommy pretty much is a one-man club!!

We'll have to see what his Board of Directors says about becoming a US Hawks Chapter.    :lol:
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:20 am

billcummings wrote:
cascpa wrote:Hi Sam and Bill,
I have just brought the idea of moving here to our members. We plan on having discussions at our January meeting. Obviously, I like the idea. Now just need to educate and inform our members and see what they think.

By the way, congratulations on the Hanger Sam. When is the next Texas Open? Have you gained access to Mt. Buzz? I say to heck with a road. Let's put in a Tram! :D

Bill, is the president day fly-in still on for The Guadalupes? I have not been in a while. I would like to make it out this year.

Off to work,

Charlie

I'll ask around about the Guads. and get back to your Charlie. :wave:

Charlie, I asked Robin Hastings last night if he had heard any plans for flying the Guadalupe Rim for Presidents’ Day weekend starting Friday February 14, 2014 Valentine’s Day running to Presidents’ Day Monday February 17, 2014.
If I understood him correctly it is always on the calendar and pilots show up if they are off work and no storm is moving through.
Even though we usually don’t hear much about who is going to show up until the last week before. There usually is a good showing of pilots.

Keep in mind if you don’t plan on going to the Guadalupe Rim you will not be able to cancel your trip just before you don’t go. :? :? :wtf:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:40 am

Great video Bill!!!

It looks like you guys were launching there at the break of dawn!! Is that the norm for that site?
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:55 am

It's a west facing site. Anytime is okay. I prefer winds that will give me at least 400' over so I can land out of the rotor on top. Turn around time going down in front takes many more miles and much time. (Gas too.)
It's never a good idea to be at the rim low on gas. Cell phone coverage is very poor too. A spare tire should be checked for air before getting there.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cascpa » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:43 pm

Thanks for the video Bill.
I plan on being there...

Charlie
cascpa
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:10 am

Hello Gentlemen,

Since this is currently still a demonstration forum, I've taken the liberty of demonstrating how a topic (like this one) can appear both in a club forum and in the national forum. I've linked this topic into the "Hang Gliding General" forum so that it appears there as well as in your own local club's forum. This could be used for situations where you want a topic to get some national attention (maybe to get support to save a site or to advertise an event). It's another benefit of integrating local and national forums, and the US Hawks is still the only organization to do that (watch for others to follow).

Sorry for the interruption in the discussion!!
Bob
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Austin Free Flight Association