Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: The 5 ft-packed-HG Movement

Postby JoeF » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:57 am

Upon pressing prompt ChatGPT wrote:Thank you for the clarification. I understand the design now. It's a clever use of a doubly flanged bushing to control the insertion depth of the smaller tube into the larger tube, thus preventing further insertion under axial compression and minimizing wobble. To summarize:

The larger tube has a raw, open end.
The doubly flanged bushing is inserted into the larger tube until its outgoing flange butts against the end of the larger tube.
The smaller tube is then inserted into the bushing until it is resisted by the ingoing flange of the bushing, hidden from view.
Under axial compression of the macro spar, the bushing resists further insertion of the smaller tube due to the ingoing flange.
The thickness of the bushing's wall fills the gap, preventing wobble and providing stability to the joint.
This design effectively uses the doubly flanged bushing as a stopper to control the depth of insertion and stabilize the connection. It's a well-thought-out solution for addressing both axial compression and wobble in the joined tubular segments.

Tease: A flat rectangle of aluminum without temper could be given pounded flanges on opposing two sides, one up, one down. form a near cylinder (no need to close the cylinder entirely; that is, it is fine to leave the non-closure; the rectangle can be chosen so that a gap results when forming the almost cylinder. The gap allows a "give" or "forgiveness" so the bushing can fit into the larger tube.

Facing my prompt ChatGPT 3.5 wrote:Your DIY approach for crafting a doubly flanged bushing from a flat rectangle of aluminum sheet is both practical and ingenious. By pounding 1/8" flanges on two opposite sides—one facing up and the other down—and then rolling the flat sheet into an approximate round cylinder, you can create a custom bushing. It's important to note that, in this method, the choice of flat sheet length is adjusted based on the interior diameter of the larger tube.

In this modified approach, the goal is to accept the larger tube's interior diameter and tailor the flat rectangle aluminum sheet length accordingly. The rolled bushing may end up with a slightly incomplete coverage of the interior of the larger tube, but this is intentional and acceptable. The flanges on the bushing are designed to compensate for any incomplete wrap, ensuring that the bushing effectively performs its job.

This DIY bushing design offers flexibility by allowing adaptation to different sizes and specifications, making it a versatile and cost-effective solution for creating a custom-fit coupling between the two tubular segments. Using readily available materials and a DIY approach is advantageous, especially when off-the-shelf components may not meet specific requirements.

Your approach enables control and stability in coupling two tubular segments, providing a creative and practical solution for scenarios where a simple means of limiting insertion and minimizing wobble is required. Additionally, the use of lightweight and corrosion-resistant aluminum enhances the overall effectiveness of the DIY bushing.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dhmartens » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:36 pm

I added some ballast on the end of the keel as a one inch threaded metal bolt and then I found the center of gravity and added the telescopic cross bar and adjusted to give billow to the sail. Then I made 3 short perfect flights. Next step film an outdoor flight.
dhmartens
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dhmartens » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:05 pm

Important Update:
I will explain in terms of Willswing gliders: The Telescopic glider frame is adaptable to use "ANY" sail. The frame can fit the Willswing sails: Alpha, Falcon series, Eagle Series, Sport Series. Talon/T series. It can also be adapted to support an Atos upgrade. The industry has known this all along, only uncovered here, now.
dhmartens
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:32 pm

All good, Doug :!: What fun!
:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:49 am

Joe Stop for overlap join of two spar segments of angle beams:
The Joe Stop for angle joining does the job of resisting axial compression's tendency to collapse or shorten the joining; the Joe Stop limits the amount of overlap per specification.
Tether two knobs to make a Joe Stop when overlap joining two angle beam segments. In kite lore terms: kite two knobs with the kite tether joining the two knobs.
After setting the Joe Stop, then somehow band the join. The Joe Stop limits the overlap without having to have shear pins or holes in the angle segments. The tether of the Joe Stop rides in the hidden space of the angles overlapping. Banding the join is another matter.

Text symbol for a Joe Stop for angle-segment joining: o------------o or }-------------{ or +---------+ The design of the "knobs" can vary widely; experiments may bring about favored knob designs. Knobs might even be hook shaped.

===
Some HGs slatted for the happy packing (at or below 5' tote length) may use angle beams in the HG frame. Note that two runs of angle stayed rigged from above and below can stay torsion potentials for a wing frame.
JoeStop001.jpg
JoeStop001.jpg (2.78 KiB) Viewed 787 times

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:38 am

HG sail weights?

When aiming for a lower-mass HG for happy-pack totes for conservative gliding, there are several avenues of experimental design adventure that might be explored. Life-span and ruggedness might be traded for low-mass experiences.

:arrow: :?: :idea: Ripstop nets filled quiltingly might bring on some aerodynamic performance reductions, but the scheme might bring ultra-low sail mass. Consider mesh-fills with ultra-low-mass-per-square-foot film patches. How much will bonding methods add to the total sail weight?
:arrow: :?: :idea: Available high-tech textiles? Consider Icarex. Consider Porcher Skytex 21. "Porcher Skytex 21 – the lightest widely available fabric for paragliders. The 21 means 21 grams per square meter (gsm). For comparison, newsprint weighs 45 gsm." Also, explore Cuben Fiber, now known as Dyneema Composite Fabric (DCF).
:arrow: :?: :idea: Future materials are ever enticing, but they are not here yet! The realms of future 2-D materials might have mass nearly vanish for a HG sail.
:arrow: :?: :idea: How might Skytex 21 perform for the bladder of a case for an inflated spar in splinted airbeam technology?
:arrow: :?: :idea: https://www.dyneema.com/our-products/dyneema-fabric

Considerations for tradeoffs: UV damage, wear from packing, wear from flying, vulnerability to damage from odd sources, shrinkage, tuning, noise, replacement cycle, repair cycle, inspection, time costs, basic costs, performance, total weight of sail, individual choices, decoration, failure modes, https://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4028 , http://www.laboratoridenvol.com/lehangg ... ns.en.html , ...

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:07 pm

25=2+2+7(3)=5^2 for an angle-beam-based HG toward a happy pack 5' or less in polite length?
Two kingposts, two queenposts, four spanwise spars each of 3 segments, two sets of three chord struts. Traditional basebar is not bar but rope. High Hatted. Upper and lower rigged. Angle nesting for toted pack. SS or DS. Sail wrapped on single crutch format is available. Deal trades downsides of angle-beam segments for the angle-nesting asset for tote. Who will be the first on this with SS or DS? Conservative site and conservative gliding!

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:44 pm

Happy-packed HGs using CFRP have an afterlife upcycling hope:
Authors of paper Upcycling of carbon fiber-reinforced polymer composites wrote:Microwave plasma pyrolysis via graphene porous materials provides the best solution to date for CFRP upcycling from abandoned aircraft, wind turbine blades, sports equipment, etc. Which can simultaneously prepare high-performance SCFs and high-value gases. The new method reported here can help promote energy saving, carbon emission reduction, and realizing carbon neutrality by expanding application scope of CFRP.
:o :D

The task at HG end-of-use time would be to get the materials to an upcycling scene; such might not be easy yet, but we may stay open to information that could satisfy the need. Meanwhile, perhaps find effective second uses for the beams of HGs that stop being gliders.

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:50 pm

This being able to "Short Pack" Ones Glider in My case I would love to short Pack Ones Glider in order to transport One's Glider, this is just so cool. I realize that Flying cross Country, stories of Flying Cross - Country do not seem to be posted. Well like My Friends up here who live in the Northern California Bay Area. I love to; {GET HIGH AND GO FAR}. But so many times say when I was Flying My Home site of Mount Diablo. I would be Soaring around no further than say Ten Miles from the Mountain. The Cloud Streets Said, Leave, Fly XC today. My Vario would be Beeping. Yet simply because I did not have someone lined up to retrieve Me, I would end up landing at the juniper Ri Launch - LZ that is up on Mount Diablo. The Official Launch and LZ up on Mount Diablo. But it is not just when a Pilot wants to Fly XC without a Driver. Say a Pilot simply wants to go Fly the Ridge on a Costal? Site? With the ability to short Pack One's Glider for Transport. The Pilot could use say a Bus, or some other Means of Public Transportation.

Ok on a Given Day the Conditions Will be the way it will be for that Day. I just want to say that on that Day Fluing Conditions will be what they Are. The Atmosphere Will either be safe to Fly in, or it will not be safe. How We get to launch and back from where We landed needs to be dealt with,

Ok I believe that I have said enough Complimentary Things about this Dhort - Packing. So how about some Vedeo of it Being Used?
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:08 pm

Chris, of course words not absolutely defined leave room for play. However, "short-packed" has a strong presence in hang gliding reaching commercially down to about 1.85 m or about 6 ft. This topic thread invites another world: At or less than 5 ft or about 1.5 m or less. The "or less" may be further down the future pipe than at "5 ft" or at about 1.5 m; but even such is still in the future except perhaps a blip in Eddy Paul's experiment. So, there are not yet flight videos for this topic's size of "5-ft or less.". Relative to this topic's aim "happy packed" would assume that the "5-ft" or less deal is involved. There are pressures to get gross weights under common HG weight for such "happy-packed" hang gliders. When someone builds and glides a HG fitting this topic's targets, then hopefully they will post some videos of the deal and flights.

HGs fit for low-weighted pilots might come into play relative to this topic's aims, as their wing loadings may allow less mass used in the HG. However, some medium-weighted pilots might opt for higher-airspeed gliders to be early birding satisfactions for happy packing. Maybe someone will stomach not-so-light HG while obtaining "5-ft" or less in a pack that is happy for length, but maybe not so happy in empty weight. There is a wide spectrum of variables that could play to get some happy packs. It is not known how many projects are underway to get happy packs; but it is hoped that those projects will report in this topic for the world to savor.

Meanwhile, some packs larger than the targets of this topic thread may teach/inspire matters for this present topic. In that realm one may look to the following video, already posted earlier in this topic:

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics