Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: The 5 ft-packed-HG Movement

Postby JoeF » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:07 pm

:?: I let ChatGPT3.5 play on the challenge

JoeF
Sail to leading edge tube? Ways and means? Please extend the following ways-and-means list to the best of your ability. Assume the sail is packed separately from frame members. Explore ways and means of making the sail and attaching it separately to the frame.

:arrow: Tape edge of sail to LE; rotate LE; then cinch the LE tube to noseplate or keel and to spreader. Plan ahead for the sail material rolled up. Sacrificial tape per flight session.
:arrow: Velcro hook on sail edge. Velcro loop on LE tube. Set the hook to loop. Roll LE. Set LE tube to keel/nose and to spreader. At packing: peel off the sail. No wasted taping here.
:arrow: Bond keder rail to LE tube. Sew keder to sail. Pull keder cord into keder rail for assembly. Wrestle with the consequence of having such deal as this will affect happy packing.
:arrow: Have small or large hem in sail. Slide sail onto LE tube. Consider stuffers, formers, ..., into the cavity.
:arrow: Have Velcro hook line on sail; have loop strip on sail. Wrap sail over LE tube and cinch the Velcro parts.

ChatGPT
Certainly! Here are some additional ways and means to consider for attaching a sail to the leading edge (LE) tube, assuming the sail is packed separately from frame members:

Snap Fasteners:
Install snap fasteners along the edge of the sail.
Attach corresponding snap components onto the LE tube.
Fasten the sail to the LE tube by snapping them together.

Zipper Closure:
Sew a zipper along the edge of the sail.
Affix the mating part of the zipper onto the LE tube.
Zip for assembly and unzip for packing.

Magnetic Closure:
Embed magnets into the sail edge.
Attach metal strips or magnetic components onto the LE tube.
Allow magnets to snap together for secure attachment.

Lacing or Grommets:
Incorporate grommets along the sail's edge.
Lace a cord through the grommets, securing the sail to the LE tube.
Adjust tension for a snug fit.

Bungee Cord System:
Stitch loops onto the sail's edge.
Stretch bungee cords from the sail loops to attachment points on the LE tube.
Adjust tension as needed.

Clips or Clamps:
Use clips or clamps to secure the sail to the LE tube.
Choose durable, lightweight options for easy packing and assembly.

Magnetic Strip and Metal Plates:
Attach a magnetic strip to the sail's edge.
Affix metal plates onto the LE tube.
Align the sail and LE tube, allowing the magnetism to hold them together.

Slide-in Sleeve Design:
Design the sail with a sleeve that slides over the LE tube.
Ensure a snug fit for stability during flight.

Combination of Methods:
Implement a combination of the above methods for added security.
For example, use Velcro in combination with snaps or lacing.

Inflatable Tube with Integrated Sail:
Explore the possibility of an inflatable leading edge tube.
Attach the sail directly to the inflatable structure for an all-in-one design.

Remember to consider factors such as weight, aerodynamics, ease of assembly, and durability when choosing the method that best fits your needs. Additionally, testing different approaches may help in determining the most efficient and reliable solution for your sail attachment.

Mods of some of the above:
:arrow: Snap parts not on LE tube but on sail; snap parts all on the sail. This leaves packing frame segments in a happier deal.
:arrow: Zipper parts not on LE tube but on sail; all zipper parts on the sail. This leaves packing frame segments in a happier deal.
:arrow: Magnetic deal: keep LE tube clean; put all the magnetic deal onto the sail; this leaves packing of frame segments in a happier way.
:arrow: Have LE tube be a keder rail itself. The sew keder to edge of sail. Slide keder cord into the keder rail.
:arrow: If LE is made of two running tubes, then consider pinching a keder and then using ties to hold the two tubes together.

Sock deal: if HG is full DS, then a sock deal might be a way.

Other methods are invited from anyone. :?: :idea: :?:
=======================
Video filler: Mark Smith

======================
Video filler: Markus Raffel

======================
Video filler: Larry Dighera (wearing shirt of orange and black broad strips)
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:49 pm

Not sure yet of value:
Rod placed into small hem of sail's LE; then have set of batten ribs press the rod edge into rolled cavity; the batten ribs would be axially compressed from tension with the TE of sail.
NotSureAbout002.jpg
NotSureAbout002.jpg (4.53 KiB) Viewed 937 times

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:44 pm

Ok; I will once again ask all of You to Bear with Me. For I am a long time Pilot who Pounded My Beloved Predator into the Ground Thirteen and a half ago. I had a serious Brain injury. Well, that was then, I am as it has been said by others Many times by Numerous People regarding coming back, getting over a serious injury. Well, I am in numerous ways, I am back. While I do not have a Video of My Flying a HG, I will. I will be talking to John regarding short Packing My Predator, when I see Him this Spring. God By Everyone, and I hope that Everyone. I hope that all of You get High and go far on Your next Flite.
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:02 pm

HG culture has "short pack" at 6 ft or longer. The present topic is not about "short pack" per se, however, some lessons from "short pack" can and have informed the "5-ft" (or less) happy packing movement. Since nothing here is carved in stone, some future may see "short pack" refer to the "happy pack" for 5-ft or less. Time will tell. Meanwhile the challenge persists to find solutions of packs that are less long than "short packs." And not only less long, but perhaps lighter.

While the current 'short packs' in the hang gliding community have a minimum length of 6 ft, the emerging concept of 'happy packs' sets itself apart by being even shorter, measuring only 5 ft or less. These 'happy packs' not only aim for a reduced length but also strive to be lighter compared to the conventional packs associated with hang gliders. It's important to note that 'happy packs' represent a novel approach, differing from the established 'short packs' available in the market.

Some future HG seller wrote:Introducing a revolutionary concept in hang gliding gear - the 'happy packs'!
Unlike the existing 'short packs,' which typically measure 6 ft or longer, our 'happy packs' redefine convenience with a compact 5 ft length. Not only are they shorter, but they are also designed to be lighter, offering a delightful alternative for hang gliders seeking a more agile and efficient packing solution. It's time to experience the joy of 'happy packs' – a new era in hang gliding gear that goes beyond the limitations of traditional 'short packs.'

[or we might see the following ad in some future;]

Introducing the revolutionary "happy packs" – a groundbreaking departure from the existing "short packs" in the hang gliding community!
While traditional "short packs" measure at least 6 ft in length, "happy packs" redefine convenience with a remarkable 5 ft or shorter design. Not only are they more compact, but they also boast a lighter weight compared to the currently available hang glider packs. "Happy packs" are set to elevate your hang gliding experience with unparalleled portability and a fresh, innovative approach to packing. Embrace a new era in hang gliding gear – choose "happy packs" for a compact and joyful journey in the skies!

==============================
At some point in the coming era of "happy packs" (5-ft or less), one might see the parallel packing of tiny electric systems that could be carried simultaneously with the happy-packed HG. The eHG that is "happy packed" may be coming...

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:18 am

Those working on solution:
One may see a gradual proximity to a happy solution. Keep up the good work. Iterations galore: we can learn from most any effort.
==================================================================================
Negative and positive feedback will be important for the success and stability of the movement to happy packing HGs.

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:14 am

One is not trying to do anything illegal here, but the following is a tactic that might soften experiences when boarding a city bus with a significantly sized backpack holding anything or a hang glider happy packed:

To enhance the experience of boarding a local city bus discreetly, one could employ a clever strategy involving a compact hang glider cleverly disguised as a backpack, measuring no more than 5 feet in height. This inconspicuous backpack should be discreetly concealed from the bus driver upon arrival. Additionally, the pilot should carry an innocuous standard bag, strategically positioned to divert the bus driver's attention away from the concealed hang glider.

To further minimize any attention drawn to the backpack, the pilot may opt to wear a sizable hat with a solar-shading design that extends to the shoulders, providing additional coverage. Confidence is key in executing this plan, so the pilot should walk assuredly, maintaining a friendly demeanor with a clean and neat appearance. Ensuring a seamless boarding process, the packer should promptly pay the fare without causing any delays.

Practicing short, confident steps that display a strong sense of balance is essential for executing this maneuver smoothly. To reduce the visual impact of the backpack, it is advisable for its color to match the clothing worn, creating a cohesive and inconspicuous appearance. By meticulously following these steps, one can seamlessly board the bus with the hang glider backpack, turning what could be a conspicuous act into a subtle and successful maneuver.

The chest-area bag or smaller innocent pack can hold some of the hang glider gear. The hat may hold some hang glider gear. Have one hand confidently free to pay the bus fare. Once on the bus, aim to go rearwardly if possible. The backpack might be unleashed and positioned to one's chest. Get off out the rear door of a bus, if possible.

Once off the bus one might off the backpack and form a trekked wagon out of the happy pack.

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dhmartens » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:52 pm

We promote nothing illegal but find no illegal content.
dhmartens
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:18 am

dhmartens wrote:We promote nothing illegal but find no illegal content.

ChatGPT helped me read Doug:
Given the context of your original post about a tactic for boarding a city bus with a hang glider cleverly disguised as a backpack, the responder's statement "We promote nothing illegal but find no illegal content" seems to be emphasizing the lack of explicit endorsement of illegal activities. Your post appears to be a playful and imaginative scenario, suggesting a creative and lighthearted approach to boarding a bus with a hang glider.

The responder might be acknowledging the humor and creativity in your post while making it clear that they don't endorse or promote any illegal actions. It's a way of maintaining a balance between appreciating the creativity of the idea while also emphasizing the importance of legality. Overall, it seems like a light and humorous exchange.

:)

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:38 pm

===============================================
Prediction:
Most coming happy packers will not be citizens of the early bird days.

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:26 pm

When will a happy packer show up to be filmed by Eric? :?: :?: :?:

JoeF
Contributor