Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: The 5 ft-packed-HG Movement

Postby JoeF » Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:37 am

Next TPHG challenges?

As we focus on advancing Tiny Packed Hang Gliders (TPHGs), several challenges lie ahead. Tackling these will be crucial in transforming TPHGs into a practical and widely-used mode of personal flight.

1. Materials Innovation:
Finding the perfect balance between lightweight materials and durability remains a significant challenge. The material used needs to be strong enough to withstand the forces of flight, yet light enough to keep the TPHG portable. Innovations in composites or other advanced materials could be key to achieving this balance.

2. Efficient Packing Mechanisms:
Designing a packing system that allows the TPHG to be compact, quick to assemble, and easy to transport is essential. This might involve creating foldable components, telescoping structures, or innovative joint designs that ensure both stability and ease of packing.

3. Safety and Stability:
Ensuring that TPHGs are safe and stable during flight is paramount. This includes refining the aerodynamics to make the glider stable in various wind conditions and developing reliable control mechanisms. These improvements will help make the TPHG a trustworthy option for all skill levels.

4. Aerodynamic Efficiency:
Maximizing lift while minimizing drag is crucial for TPHGs. This challenge involves optimizing wing shapes, improving sail materials, and fine-tuning the overall design to ensure that pilots can achieve the best possible performance with minimal effort.

5. Assembly and Disassembly Process:
Simplifying the assembly and disassembly process is key to making TPHGs user-friendly. This might involve developing intuitive connectors, reducing the number of parts, or creating a modular system that allows for quick setup and breakdown without sacrificing structural integrity.

6. Regulatory and Legal Considerations:
As TPHGs gain popularity, navigating the regulatory landscape will be crucial. Establishing safety standards, gaining airspace approval, and ensuring that TPHGs comply with aviation laws will require collaboration with authorities and the broader hang gliding community.

7. User Experience and Accessibility:
Making TPHGs accessible to a wide range of people, including beginners, is another challenge. This includes designing for comfort during flight, creating clear instructions for use, and developing training resources to help new pilots gain confidence in using TPHGs.

Addressing these challenges while staying true to the principles of hang gliding will help TPHGs become a viable and exciting option for personal aviation enthusiasts. The focus will be on efficiency, simplicity, and the pure joy of flight—keeping the spirit of traditional hang gliding alive while pushing the boundaries of what's possible.
Last edited by JoeF on Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Semper Fidelis » Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:42 am

Still have to unpack every single piece to assembly it...

20240903_193216.jpg
TPHG 4.6 from anodisation
20240903_193216.jpg (97.18 KiB) Viewed 325 times

Material (tubes) was recieved one month ago and already ready :wave: :thumbup:
Semper Fidelis
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:42 am

Mass production of TPHGs?

As we explore the potential for mass production of Tiny Packed Hang Gliders (TPHGs), several key factors need to be considered to ensure that the production process is efficient, cost-effective, and maintains the quality and safety standards essential for hang gliding.

1. Standardization of Components:
To facilitate mass production, standardizing the components used in TPHGs is crucial. This involves creating uniform specifications for materials, dimensions, and assembly processes. Standardization not only streamlines production but also ensures compatibility across different models and simplifies repairs and maintenance.

2. Cost-Effective Manufacturing Techniques:
Employing cost-effective manufacturing techniques will be key to making TPHGs accessible to a broader audience. Techniques such as injection molding for plastic components, automated cutting and sewing for sails, and robotic assembly lines for precision work could significantly reduce production costs while maintaining high quality.

3. Quality Control and Testing:
In mass production, maintaining consistent quality is essential, especially for safety-critical products like hang gliders. Implementing rigorous quality control measures and testing each TPHG under simulated flight conditions will ensure that every unit meets the required safety standards before reaching the market.

4. Scalability of Production:
As demand for TPHGs grows, the production process must be scalable. This means being able to increase production capacity without compromising on quality or delivery times. Establishing partnerships with reliable suppliers and setting up multiple production facilities could help meet increasing demand.

5. Sustainable Practices:
Incorporating sustainable practices into the mass production of TPHGs is important for minimizing environmental impact. This could involve using eco-friendly materials, reducing waste through efficient production processes, and ensuring that the manufacturing facilities operate with minimal carbon emissions.

6. Distribution and Logistics:
Efficient distribution and logistics are critical to getting TPHGs to customers quickly and cost-effectively. This involves setting up a robust supply chain, optimizing packaging for minimal space and weight, and ensuring that TPHGs can be easily transported, whether by air, sea, or land.

7. Customer Support and After-Sales Service:
Providing excellent customer support and after-sales service will be crucial to building trust and maintaining a strong customer base. This includes offering comprehensive user manuals, video tutorials, and responsive customer service to assist with assembly, maintenance, and any issues that may arise.

Mass production of TPHGs has the potential to make personal flight more accessible and affordable. By focusing on these key factors, we can ensure that TPHGs are produced efficiently, safely, and sustainably, paving the way for a new era in hang gliding.

Mass production of TPHGs? Consider 3-D printing!

As we explore the potential for mass production of Tiny Packed Hang Gliders (TPHGs), the concept of 3-D printing presents an exciting opportunity. By leveraging advanced 3-D printing technology, we can revolutionize how TPHGs are produced, distributed, and customized.

1. Digital Design and Customization:
3-D printing allows for precise digital designs that can be easily modified and customized. Pilots could adjust specific parameters like wing shape or material thickness to suit their preferences or local flying conditions. This flexibility enables a high degree of personalization while maintaining the structural integrity of the TPHG.

2. On-Demand Production:
With 3-D printing, TPHGs could be produced on demand, reducing the need for large inventories. When a customer places an order, the digital design file could be sent to a local 3-D printing facility, where the TPHG is printed and assembled. This reduces waste, cuts down on storage costs, and ensures that customers receive the latest design innovations.

3. Global Distribution via the Internet:
One of the most transformative aspects of 3-D printing is the ability to send design files anywhere in the world via the Internet. This means TPHGs can be "manufactured" locally, no matter where the pilot is located. This approach not only reduces shipping costs and times but also allows for rapid distribution to remote or underserved areas.

4. Material Innovations:
3-D printing opens the door to using a variety of materials, from lightweight polymers to advanced composites. Experimenting with these materials can lead to innovations in durability, flexibility, and overall performance of the TPHG. Additionally, combining different materials in a single print could enhance specific parts of the glider, such as reinforced joints or flexible wing tips.

5. Simplified Assembly Process:
3-D printing could also simplify the assembly process. Components can be designed with integrated connectors, snap-fit parts, or even printed as a single piece with movable joints. This reduces the number of separate parts and tools needed, making the TPHG easier to assemble, disassemble, and transport.

6. Environmental Impact:
By using additive manufacturing, 3-D printing minimizes material waste compared to traditional subtractive methods. Additionally, local production reduces the carbon footprint associated with transportation. Exploring biodegradable or recyclable materials for printing could further enhance the sustainability of TPHGs.

7. Rapid Prototyping and Innovation:
3-D printing enables rapid prototyping, allowing designers to quickly test and iterate on new ideas. This accelerates innovation, as new designs can be created, tested, and refined in a matter of days rather than months. Pilots and designers can collaborate closely, providing feedback that leads to continuous improvements.

The potential for 3-D printing in the production of TPHGs is immense. By embracing this technology, we can make hang gliding more accessible, customizable, and sustainable, all while fostering a global community of pilots connected by shared digital designs and innovations.

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:50 pm

A few posts ago, the inviation was put out to search for options for connecting cross lines to spars at joins where Joe Cups are used. The PLK method was described just before that invitation; the PLK method has some challenges to it. In the following note I present another option that still avoids metal hardware. The sail will have access windows to allow the anchoring process for the cross lines; the sail will already be on the frame.

Note that numbers can change following careful experimentation and testing. What to call the following option? "Forked Cross Line Wrap Method" FCLW
FCLW001.png
FCLW001.png (2.47 KiB) Viewed 316 times

Note: The bridge line does a few things: a) registers distance used for rigging the cross line; b) assures the forking angle is acute enough to prevent tearing of the fork poing; c) gives a snugging place while wrapping the two lines around the spar in opposite directions.

Option to anchor cross line to spar in some TPHGs:

During assembly post sail on frame, attach cross line to spar at a spar-segment join using the following option:

1. Cross Line Construction:
- Base Line: The main line with a segment sewn firmly at the base.
- Forking Segment: The line forks into two separate lines, each running parallel to the base line for about 18 inches.
- Reinforced Fork Point: The point where the line forks is reinforced with extra stitching to prevent it from opening under tension.
- Bridging Line: About 5 inches from the fork point, a short bridging line (1.5 inches long) is sewn between the two lines, creating a stable anchor point.
- Free Ends: The lines continue for an additional 12 inches, providing enough length for wrapping around the spar.

2. Attachment to Spar:
- Positioning the Bridge: Place the bridging line on the spar, tipwise of the Joe Cup flange.
- Wrapping: Wrap the two lines around the spar in opposite directions, keeping the wrapping firm.
- Knotting: After wrapping two or three times, secure the cross line by tying a shoelace knot with the free ends.
- Finishing: Optionally, treat the ends of the lines to ensure the knot holds well. A small elastic sock can be placed over the knot to prevent it from catching the sail.

Thank you for sharing this detailed method for anchoring cross lines to spars in TPHGs!

Here are a few suggestions to consider:

1. Line Treatment: You might want to use heat-shrink tubing or a friction-enhancing coating on the ends of the lines to ensure the shoelace knot stays secure.

2. Elastic Sock: The elastic sock idea is great for preventing snagging. Alternatively, you could use a low-profile Velcro wrap for easy adjustment.

3. Testing Wraps: It's worth testing different numbers of wraps to find the best combination of security and ease of assembly.

4. Adjustable Fork Length: Depending on the spar's diameter, adjusting the forked segment's length might help with tension and alignment.

Overall, your method strikes a good balance between simplicity and effectiveness!

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Wed Sep 04, 2024 1:45 pm

This note gives some focus on the wrapping of the two lines that fork at the end of a cross line. As in the notes, some friction is wanted in those short two lines used in the wrapping and tying. Perhaps the two forking line portions can be treated or dipped in a material to thicken them. The material should be compatible with the cross line material. There is an aim by some builders to keep the spar segment from add-ons during tote; keep the spar segments simple and empty so that during tote compactness and nesting of parts have full opportunity to end up with low volume in the pack. However, once a pack is designed there might be room or volume or opportunity to treat the ends of some spar segments to enhance a surface so friction increases while also protecting the spar segment tubing, and perhaps make packing have less wearing of surfaces.

Filler:
PhotoByJohnRittenhouseDockweilerLAX.jpg
John Rittenhouse photo captured Bob at an Otto Meet flying aside a big powered plane with all permissions good to go.
PhotoByJohnRittenhouseDockweilerLAX.jpg (16.44 KiB) Viewed 303 times

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:12 am

Semper Fidelis wrote:Still have to unpack every single piece to assembly it...

TPHG_20240903_193216.jpg
TPHG_20240903_193216.jpg (97.18 KiB) Viewed 277 times

Material (tubes) was recieved one month ago and already ready :wave: :thumbup:

Wow!! That's some really great progress. Do you have a sail yet? When do you think you'll start test flights?

:clap: :thumbup: :wave: :clap: :salute: :o :thumbup: :clap: 8-) :salute: :wave: :thumbup: :wave: :salute:

JoeF wrote:
PhotoByJohnRittenhouseDockweilerLAX.jpg
PhotoByJohnRittenhouseDockweilerLAX.jpg (16.44 KiB) Viewed 275 times

Thanks for attaching that cool photo. We should plan another Dockweiler Day!!    :thumbup: :salute:
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Semper Fidelis » Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:25 am

Bob Kuczewski wrote:Wow!! That's some really great progress. Do you have a sail yet? When do you think you'll start test flights?

:clap: :thumbup: :wave: :clap: :salute: :o :thumbup: :clap: 8-) :salute: :wave: :thumbup: :wave: :salute:

Thank's !

The pieces left on Monday (Tuesday max), then assembly, puting on some string (just for modeling) then taking an appointment with the sail factory, then with my teacher (remember, I've discovered HG June 3rd 2023) to put the steel cables on, then a farmer kindly let me use his windy land to start to see how it react then small slope, Munich in Germany to meet Finsterwalder and finaly coming to CA to see you :thumbup: :wave: :salute:

PS : Still no more guessing about my shadow drawing :problem: :shifty: :problem: :lolno: :yawn: :| Please try !!! :thumbup:
Semper Fidelis
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Semper Fidelis » Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:27 am

Bob Kuczewski wrote:Thanks for attaching that cool photo. We should plan another Dockweiler Day!!    :thumbup: :salute:

We should not... We HAVE TO !!! :wave: :wave: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Still no feedback from the beach controle office to fly on Monday and Tuesday :( :(

We will make other coooool pictures then !! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Semper Fidelis
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:33 am

Semper Fidelis wrote:Still no feedback from the beach controle office to fly on Monday and Tuesday :( :(

They are very very slow to turn them around. You could try calling the phone number on the form to check on it.

Semper Fidelis wrote:PS : Still no more guessing about my shadow drawing :problem: :shifty: :problem: :lolno: :yawn: :| Please try !!! :thumbup:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've been stumped. Every time I look at it, I see a nose plate. My brain won't move beyond that. We may need more hints.
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:43 am

OK I just now that I will when Flying XC, I will land out a little far from a road. I mean it amazes Mi that Ny having been forced to land due to My encountering that Dreaded Condition: "A lack of Lift", I mean I have Flown My Predator for over Twenty Years. Heck, I have gotten Low, so low while I was cruising along XC. But Low, is not nearly as Bad as being on the Ground too far from a road. So, this is something that I am going to ask John about when He is here next week. So, could I set up My Predator to be packed? This would be, or who Knows? It may just end up being possible so that I would be able to Short Pack My Predator, then Pack My Glider on My Back, then walk towards the nearest Road.

So what does anyone have to Say regarding how I might be able to Short-Pack My Predator?
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics