Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello US Hawks!!

Postby Craig Muhonen » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:58 am

Chris McKeon wrote:
Also what is the attraction of Paragliders? I have seen some Good hg pILOTS GO TO THE: "dark side" i mean what is it that draws HG Pilots away?

I only know about the Telluride Hang Gliders, so here is what they said, about the day PG pilots were allowed to fly under TAF insurance.
First off they said that if they had to do it over again, they would have required P4 paragliders to get separate "paraglider" insurance to fly Gold Hill. Up to that point an H4 rating was required and mandated, and it was NOT a training hill, but these new paraglider pilots were so "friendly" and they were good fliers so off they went.
Within days it seemed, many many paragliders came to one of the most premier and challenging HG launch sites in the world, and the "rest is history".
Second off , they said that, flying around paragliders was like skiing the gates on a slalom course, around one then another and another, to a point that it was harder and harder to enjoy the actual art of Hang Gliding there.
The TAF went from 14 original HG Pilots and zero paragliders, to 16 paraglider "pilots" and one HG Pilot. Some HG Pilots took up PG.(and they still called themselves the Telluride Airforce).

So to your question Chris (and many others I suppose), "what draws HG Pilots away"?
Here is the flat out answer they gave....
We Just Got Lonely
It is really lonely now, because all foot launched gliding is forbidden at Gold Hill, and our once pristine view of 10 to 20 Hang Gliders in the air over town is gone forever. Sad because HG really did bring, "first class" tourists and spectators to town, not to watch these, "Hang-ing-on-strings-Gliders. My opinion.

==========================================================================================================

"grow brave by reflection". And invincible with written words.
Craig Muhonen
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello US Hawks!!

Postby Craig Muhonen » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:16 pm

JoeF wrote:A hop puts one flying in the air. The opportunity is present. :salute:

And what a barefooted hop it was for this guy, as he spit the sand out of his mouth sometimes.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/00cdd8_cd6260d ... a9bdf2.pdf
Thanks Frank for including this article about your friend in your ratings page.

C:+o)
"grow brave by reflection". And invincible with written words.
Craig Muhonen
Contributor
Contributor

Previous
Forum Statistics