RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Flying possibilities

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby RobinHastings » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:37 am

Here is a picture from Gray Hill yesterday, showing Byron with his Freedom 170. Notice how green the Plains of San Augustine are this summer, with a white dot in the distance that is one of the VLA's 85-foot radio telescopes.
-Robin

ByronAtGrayHill.JPG
Byron Stevens at Gray Hill, August 17, 2019.
ByronAtGrayHill.JPG (83.49 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
User avatar
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:12 pm

Way to go Byron!!!!!    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave:

Way to go RGSA!!!!!    :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
User avatar
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 6409
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby spydermike » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:35 pm

Now that looks fun!
User avatar
spydermike
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:25 pm

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby RobinHastings » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:02 pm

Bill Cummings and I plan to be at Gray Hill this weekend, west of Magdalena, New Mexico. Byron Stevens plans to be there, too, so we can mentor him to a first mountain flight. Conditions look good for both HG and PG, so come and join us if you can!
-Robin
User avatar
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

Flying possibilities Sunday September 8, 2019

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:42 pm

Sunday definitely looks like the best opportunity to fly.
That is of course if the forecast holds.
The pilot with the strongest commitment to fly so far
is definitely Robin (Tentatively). Me not so much so I’ll
be the driver for sure (If we go.)
We have narrowed it down to exactly to places that
might face the wind (hopefully). The Little Florida Mts.
or Matt’s Mt. (AKA Mag Rim.)
It’s wise to have some hard and fast flying expedition
plans nailed down rather than be like other club
member that haven’t been able to make up there minds.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2944
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities Sun, Nov, 10, 2019

Postby Bill Cummings » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:31 pm

The Little Florida Mts tomorrow.
Robin will pick me up at 10:00am.
We should be in the LZ by 11:00 and up top
before 12:00. Wyatt may meet us in the LZ.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2944
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:26 pm

Have extra fun for all of us who won't be flying!!    :wave:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
User avatar
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 6409
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby Bill Cummings » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:35 am

Tuesday looking good for L. Florida. Temp. 65 to 70*
Wind W to WSW @ 12 mph
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2944
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby RobinHastings » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:41 am

Looks good! As an added blessing, we could get rain Tuesday evening through Wednesday. Let's go early and take advantage of that. (l.e., Do a bit of roadwork...)
-Robin
User avatar
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:28 am

RGSA, HAWKS,
Yesterday I picked up Robin (He is in between racks due to a new to him Toyota.) and we drove 37.5 miles to Volcanic Peak. WSW of Las Cruces.
As we planted the flag in the LZ it was about 110º left crosswind to the ridge line. We checked out the culverts and they were still unplugged all
the way to the top of the road up to launch. We had to detour due to some muddy spots on the road in after the railroad tracks.
During Thanksgiving weekend the area had several days of constant rain and it took until yesterday for it to dry out enough to get on site.
We hiked up to just west of the highest part of Volcanic Peak and found a PG launch that faced a little to the right of north.
This spot isn't like at the base of the tower where a PG could be blown back into the barbed wire fence.
Still waiting this morning for Robin's call to see if he wants to try a flight today. It will be just under 40º and noon. :o
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2944
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Previous

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

cron