RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Flying possibilities

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Flying possibilities Wed. January 16, 2019

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:09 am

Robin and I mitigated our possible losses by not driving the longer distance to Gray Hill, (WSW of Soccorro, NM), to find we were blown out by driving to the Little Florida Mountains. (To find we were blown out).

To get even with mother nature we took turns throwing a 10 pound boulder at the ground for 15 minutes. The vindictive bitch eased the wind speed knob up another 5 mph. Without much kicking of rocks Robin made the call to go back to Las Cruces.
Are we smarter than we look OR WHAT?
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:43 pm

OR WHAT, I think. But then, how can I be objective? Better get second opinions from our wives...
-Robin
User avatar
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:07 pm

Bill Cummings wrote:Are we smarter than we look OR WHAT?

RobinHastings wrote:OR WHAT, I think. But then, how can I be objective? Better get second opinions from our wives.

I think your wives are smarter than to give either of you a second opinion on that. :srofl:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
User avatar
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 6058
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Flying possibilities Wed. Mar. 6, 2019

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:50 pm

Dry Canyon is looking good for tomorrow Wed. Mar. 6, 2019
Robin and I expect to meet our driver in the LZ between 1 and 1:30. :thumbup:
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby Bill Cummings » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Anapra on the Mexican border, east face, looks good for tomorrow. I'll be driving for Jim Macnutt down from Vermont.
I'll be leaving my house just before 10:00 to pick Jim up. Tomorrow is expected to be in the 50's with east @ 10 to 20 mph.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities 4/5/2019 Friday

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:58 am

The plan for today is to meet at the Cummings Staging Area at 9am.
With any luck we will be out of sight of the Staging Area before sunset and well on our way to Mag Rim (Matt's Mt.)
I'll be doing ground support duties for Robin and Jim as they try to prove that gravity alone will not keep
good men down. These two have been defying the laws of physics with no visible means of support.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Flying possibilities 4 8 2019 Monday

Postby Bill Cummings » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:50 pm

Today we chased the wind at Volcanic Peak. Checked the launch at the base of the tower but it was crossing 22 degrees from the left.
We went to the HG launch that faces north and it was crossing 22 degrees from the right.
Back at the tower it was getting down to 2 mph from 12 to 15. Robin was almost set up with his Blade but the wind got under it and
the tie down rope was too slack and the wings closed up like a butterfly which took out the keel tube and the left leading edge.
We headed for my place and by dark and after raiding the Aluminum bone pile in my back yard we found lots of tubing that just about fit.
We should have the keel tube back together tomorrow (Monday). After that we will fix the left leading edge. The glider will be stronger than the day it was new at least as far as he keel goes. It'll have to break somewhere else because we inner sleeved AND outer sleeved the spot that gave way.
It'll be heaver for sure. Somewhere between bullet proof and indestructible. Tomorrow we will try to count how many parts are on the keel. I think we will set a record.
The blade had Coke and Pepsi can shims that as far as I know came that way from the factory. The shims took up the space where one smaller tube fit into another tube. First time in over 40 years that I'd ever seen a glider put together like that.
We plan to leave my place at 8am tomorrow for another try with a different glider for Robin, a Falcon IV for Jim and a Sport II for me.
Early from 8 to noon VP might work. (If the forecast is wrong). :crazy:
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:17 pm

It's nice to see that recycling of aluminum cans has a place in hang gliding ... :shock:

Good luck tomorrow!!      :thumbup:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
User avatar
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 6058
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Flying possibilities Sat. Aug. 17, 2019

Postby Bill Cummings » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:21 pm

RGSA/HAWKS and drivers,
As this weekend was looking good in the forecast last Wednesday I tried to rally the pilots for a trip to Gray Hill.
Gray Hill is WSW of Socorro, NM and 10 miles east of the Very Large Array. (VLA, Radio telescope dishes.)
Only Robin seemed primed and ready to go. By Thursday the good conditions were removed from Sunday's forecast.
So now Friday and Saturday were looking good. I texted Ben Stembridge to see if he could come up from Texas but
the short notice didn't fit his schedule.
Robin got in contact with Byron Stevens, a new pilot, and he and Robin made arrangements to meet at Gray Hill
today, Saturday. The forecast was showing higher wind speed for Saturday so I was concerned that Gray might be
blown out so I stayed home.
DC tells me that you can't trust an August forecast.
Around 11:30 I sent the 3 pm forecast for Gray from four different models by text to Robin's phone but the text
may not have been delivered.
It takes me just under three hours to drive to Gray one way so for one POSSIBLE day of flying I couldn't see making
the trip. We will just have to wait for Robin to post or report back on the Gray Hill thread. If it isn't too windy
Robin will be mentoring Byron's first foot launch off a higher hill than the training hill at Mesquite.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby RobinHastings » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:19 pm

Saturday, August 17, 2019:
I met up with Byron Stevens and his son Isaiah at the El Camino Cafe in Socorro, and by 11:00 am we were at Gray Hill. The wind cycled in from just a few miles per hour, through 10 to 15, then up to 20+. We got Byron ready, with his Northwings Freedom 170, but he didn't feel comfortable with the situation, and after an hour or so we backed off the launch. I made a short flight in my Wills Wing Sport 2, and landed near the flag. Byron was inspired to try again, but by then the winds had shifted from west to south-southwest, too crossed from the left to launch. We finally bagged up the gliders and departed for home, but Byron is ready to try again ASAP - at Gray Hill, or some other suitable site. He learned a lot, and though it was a long day, it was not wasted.
-Robin
User avatar
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron