RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Volcanic Peak, 376' agl, Face 025º, 0.2mi Long

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Volcanic Peak, 376' agl, Face 025º, 0.2mi Long

Postby Bill Cummings » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:20 am

RobinHastings wrote:Wednesday, October 30, 2019:
I had already done some flying this week, a nice Saturday afternoon at Magdalena Rim - but, when the winds are right, you have to go! (The last time we flew here was in November, almost a year ago.) A cold front blew through our region today, bringing strong NE winds and some chilly temperatures. I thought, at noon, things looked like a blowout, but Bill Cummings said, "If you don't have anything better to do today, let's check out the road - and maybe it'll be flyable." Well, the road out to Volcanic Peak was looking pretty good - and the conditions, given a lull to launch in, were flyable indeed. We got to the launch by 2:00 pm MDT (and don't forget, we're back on Standard Time this Sunday). The winds were coming in at 20+ mph, right up the ramp, but when I stood there with my Sport 2 it was already trying to fly. I waited until the winds lulled to 15-18 mph, and I had control of the glider. Bill cleared right out of the way, I got about one step in and I was flying, rising up and turning right. The ridge lift was good; it didn't take long to get 100 ft over launch height, at this 375-foot hill. Just making S-turns today, I made it up to 400 ft over. (Sometimes I sank down to 50 or 100, but there was usually something to sustain me right after that.) After 25 minutes of smooth ridge lift flying (and occasional thermals) I headed out when I got back down to ridge height. Heading upwind, with no additional lift, I ended up 100 yards short of the flag, landing in the creosote bushes but doing it fairly well, for me. Duration was about 30 minutes of real fun airtime, and I am ever grateful to Bill for a) Suggesting it and b) Making it happen. Isn't autumn wonderful?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd2EhYfotIM
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:58 am

What a nice video, Bill! Well edited and captioned. It captures the essence of what a fun site this can be - as long as the launch goes well.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:58 pm

Billman and Robin - my favorite winged crusaders!!

Nice flying Robin, and nice video work Bill. :)
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:16 pm

FRIDAY, JANUARY 31, 2020:
It was a beautiful clear day in Southern New Mexico - visibility at least 60 miles, and not a cloud. Chilly in the morning, but by noon the temperature was around 50 F. And we had north winds! Those are ideal for Volcanic Peak. After Bill decided it was too chilly for his taste, I came over as pilot instead of driver, and at 10:30 we headed out to Volcanic Peak. There I launched my Sport 2 in a 15 mph NE wind. At first I did fine, getting 50-100 feet above the launch, but the winds today were intermittent. After several passes I found myself getting low at the east end of the ridge, and headed out for the landing zone. I hit a number of bumps on the way, but nothing big enough to circle in, so I just continued on out, and had a fine landing among bushes not far from the road. It was a short flight, but very pleasant, and, hey, it's January. I've heard rumors that there are pilots in this country not flying at all, right now... Thanks, Bill, for making it happen today!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:28 pm

RobinHastings wrote:FRIDAY, JANUARY 31, 2020:
It was a beautiful clear day in Southern New Mexico - visibility at least 60 miles, and not a cloud. Chilly in the morning, but by noon the temperature was around 50 F. And we had north winds! Those are ideal for Volcanic Peak. After Bill decided it was too chilly for his taste, I came over as pilot instead of driver, and at 10:30 we headed out to Volcanic Peak. There I launched my Sport 2 in a 15 mph NE wind. At first I did fine, getting 50-100 feet above the launch, but the winds today were intermittent. After several passes I found myself getting low at the east end of the ridge, and headed out for the landing zone. I hit a number of bumps on the way, but nothing big enough to circle in, so I just continued on out, and had a fine landing among bushes not far from the road. It was a short flight, but very pleasant, and, hey, it's January. I've heard rumors that there are pilots in this country not flying at all, right now... Thanks, Bill, for making it happen today!
-Robin

https://youtu.be/bZivvz9oEEA
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:40 pm

Great job of editing, Bill. I was leaning side to side in my chair here, trying to make that pilot turn when he should have! Thanks again for making that flight possible. Let's see what the weather does this week, eh?
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association