Re: Whistle Blower Protection SOP Proposal

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:57 pm

OK, with 3 "Yes" votes, the motion passes.

Please submit specific proposals for a "Whistle Blower Protection SOP" for the US Hawks. Please use a "nominate" tag with a unique title that we can use as the "key" for voting (please try to make them short).

As per the motion, we will be accepting such nominations until 2 am on April 2nd (PDT). At that time, we will begin voting in this same topic with the voting closing at 5am on April 5th. The voting will be done using the simple Condorcet method, and the list of choices will include a choice titled "None of the Above" which allows for the case where we really aren't happy with the nominations.

We can nominate as many as we want, but past experience shows that too many candidates can lead to a deadlock. So try to submit the best one (or best few) if you can.

Also, any ongoing discussions are certainly welcome. If you decide to withdraw any of your nominations after the 4 hour editing window, please use another "nominate" tagged post to flag your withdrawal so I won't include it in the final ballot. I'll submit a proposal after this post which can serve as an example.

Thanks!!
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:04 pm

WBP1:      The US Hawks Hang Gliding Association will not tolerate attempts from any individual to retaliate, punish, or in any way harm any individual who reports a concern in good faith. Such actions against a complainant will be considered a violation of the US Hawks Hang Gliding Association's Terms of Service and grounds for disciplinary action.  

I've tried to simplify the original in this nomination. Any comments or variations are welcome. Just give them a unique name so we can discuss them and vote on them.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:39 pm

bobk wrote:  WBP1:      The US Hawks Hang Gliding Association will not tolerate attempts from any individual to retaliate, punish, or in any way harm any individual who reports a concern in good faith. Such actions against a complainant will be considered a violation of the US Hawks Hang Gliding Association's Terms of Service and grounds for disciplinary action.  

I've tried to simplify the original in this nomination. Any comments or variations are welcome. Just give them a unique name so we can discuss them and vote on them.

I nominate the US Hawks Whistle Blower (Scott Protocol) AKA (  WBP-SP1  ) (below)

“Whistle Blower” Protection

Regardless of outcome, the US Hawks Hang Gliding Association will support the complaint(s) made by any member - as well as any member’s right to express concerns in good faith.
The US Hawks Hang Gliding Association will not encourage, allow, or tolerate attempts by any member or group of members to retaliate, punish, or in any way harm any individual or individuals who report a concern in good faith.
Such actions against a complainant will be considered a violation of the US Hawks Hang Gliding Association's (Organizational Integrity/Safety In Flight Operations?) Guide and grounds for disciplinary action.
Such retaliatory acts may also be subject to civil or criminal proceedings.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:07 pm

The tandem fatalities in Nevada have distracted me/us from this topic. I want to research other versions of this Whistle Blower clause and see how they measure up. That could take a little while.
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:35 pm

We're just a few hours from the nomination deadline, and so far we have 3 possible choices:

•   WBP1:  
    The US Hawks Hang Gliding Association will not tolerate attempts from any individual to retaliate, punish, or in any way harm any individual who reports a concern in good faith. Such actions against a complainant will be considered a violation of the US Hawks Hang Gliding Association's Terms of Service and grounds for disciplinary action.

•   WBP-SP1:  
    Regardless of outcome, the US Hawks Hang Gliding Association will support the complaint(s) made by any member - as well as any member’s right to express concerns in good faith. The US Hawks Hang Gliding Association will not encourage, allow, or tolerate attempts by any member or group of members to retaliate, punish, or in any way harm any individual or individuals who report a concern in good faith. Such actions against a complainant will be considered a violation of the US Hawks Hang Gliding Association's (Organizational Integrity/Safety In Flight Operations?) Guide and grounds for disciplinary action. Such retaliatory acts may also be subject to civil or criminal proceedings.

•   None of the Above  

If anyone else has any other suggestions, please submit them before 2am!!

As Wingspan mentioned, there have been a lot of other things happening. So if we don't like the choices so far, we can vote for "None of the Above". If "None of the Above" should win, that means we can continue to discuss it and introduce alternative motions or decide to drop it. I think learning how this process works (and tweaking it for our needs) is an important part of these voting topics at this time. So thanks for helping work out the bugs!!
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:26 pm

bobk wrote:We're just a few hours from the nomination deadline, and so far we have 3 possible choices:

•   WBP1:  
    The US Hawks Hang Gliding Association will not tolerate attempts from any individual to retaliate, punish, or in any way harm any individual who reports a concern in good faith. Such actions against a complainant will be considered a violation of the US Hawks Hang Gliding Association's Terms of Service and grounds for disciplinary action.

•   WBP-SP1:  
    Regardless of outcome, the US Hawks Hang Gliding Association will support the complaint(s) made by any member - as well as any member’s right to express concerns in good faith. The US Hawks Hang Gliding Association will not encourage, allow, or tolerate attempts by any member or group of members to retaliate, punish, or in any way harm any individual or individuals who report a concern in good faith. Such actions against a complainant will be considered a violation of the US Hawks Hang Gliding Association's
    (Organizational Integrity/Safety In Flight Operations?) Guide and grounds for disciplinary action. Such retaliatory acts may also be subject to civil or criminal proceedings.

•   None of the Above  

If anyone else has any other suggestions, please submit them before 2am!!

As Wingspan mentioned, there have been a lot of other things happening. So if we don't like the choices so far, we can vote for "None of the Above". If "None of the Above" should win, that means we can continue to discuss it and introduce alternative motions or decide to drop it. I think learning how this process works (and tweaking it for our needs) is an important part of these voting topics at this time. So thanks for helping work out the bugs!!

I should have checked my calandar on the 2,2 and 5,5. I didn't realize that I would be off line for this coming weekend.
Since Scott sounds like he needs more time I'm going to start the vote with none of the above then list my preferences.
This in an effort to delay the final vote until after the holiday weekend.
  None of the Above, WBP-SP1, WBP1  
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:31 pm

Right now I would vote the same as Bill.

None of the Above, WBP-SP1, WBP1  
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:32 pm

More time for study.
  None of the above   yet

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:18 pm

wingspan33 wrote:  None of the Above, WBP-SP1, WBP1  

I agree. I don't think we have what we want yet.

So with 4 of the 5 Directors having voted for "None of the Above", it would be impossible for any other option to overcome that.

Any Directors who haven't voted yet are welcome to do so to voice their opinion, but "None of the Above" wins, so the discussion is reopened for alternate proposals.

Maybe we could start by expressing what we didn't like about the ones we have so far.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:54 am

My first concern: Study carefully the related "whistleblowing" realm broadly first.
Start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistleblower

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics