Robin Hastings Cancer Fund (RGSA)

Honoring the rich history and bright future of gliding at Dockweiler Beach

Robin Hastings Cancer Fund (RGSA)

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:03 am

Robin Hastings Cancer Fund
https://gf.me/u/y54zvj

GoFundMe wrote:Robin Hastings Cancer Fund

$5,485 raised of $20,000 goal
$7,310 raised of $20,000 goal (update as of November 1st, 2020)

https://youtu.be/dToMm3v0PiM

Stephen Crye is organizing this fundraiser on behalf of Robin Hastings.

Created October 11, 2020

Steve Crye wrote:Robin Hastings has been a fixture in the US Hang Gliding community for over 40 years. His articles have been published in USHPA magazine and elsewhere. Always willing to mentor and assist new pilots, he selflessly provided rides to the Dry Canyon launch for the last 30 years, destroying at least one 4x4 truck on the terrible road. Friend to hangies and baggies alike, he has served in multiple capacities in the Rio Grande Soaring Association, where he is currently Secretary.

In addition to be being an expert HG pilot with over 5000 flights, he as an accomplished amateur astronomer, physicist and gymnast.

He is now in the fight of his life and needs our help! In late September 2020, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer that has spread to his liver. He is only 66 years old, in great shape other than this malady, and has many years of flying ahead if we can help him beat this. As you all know, pancreatic cancer is aggressive so there is no time to waste.

51829210_1602698986647717_r.jpeg
51829210_1602698986647717_r.jpeg (58.44 KiB) Viewed 8193 times

I have known him since 2015 when I was a green beginner paraglider pilot. We fly together as often as possible. I am also an officer in the RGSA. I'm starting this fundraiser for him because he is too proud to ask for help. Let's all pitch in and help give him a fighting chance and relieve some of the financial burden his family is facing.

I'm sure he will appreciate encouragement and support. He is active on US Hawks, and you can reach him there

https://ushawks.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=28

Steve Crye
El Paso TX

Robin Hastings, his wife Nancy, Joe Faust and I at Dockweiler Beach in Los Angeles:
https://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 531#p12522

file-11.jpg
Robin and Nancy at Dockweiler Beach in 2015
file-11.jpg (80.45 KiB) Viewed 8186 times

file-13.jpg
Robin and Nancy at Dockweiler Beach in 2015
file-13.jpg (72.74 KiB) Viewed 8186 times

file-15.jpg
Joe Faust, Robin, and Nancy at Dockweiler Beach in 2015
file-15.jpg (100.6 KiB) Viewed 8186 times

file-19.jpg
Joe Faust, Robin Hastings, and Bob Kuczewski at Dockweiler Beach in 2015
file-19.jpg (89.81 KiB) Viewed 8186 times

Robin Hastings, his wife Nancy and I at Torrey Pines:
https://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 499#p12499

file-10.jpg
Robin and Nancy at Torrey Pines Gliderport in 2015
file-10.jpg (110.49 KiB) Viewed 8186 times

file-12.jpg
Robin Hastings and Bob Kuczewski At Torrey Pines in 2015
file-12.jpg (70.92 KiB) Viewed 8186 times
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Robin Hastings Cancer Fund (RGSA)

Postby RobinHastings » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:28 pm

Bob, Joe, everyone - thank you so much for doing this for me and my family. Nancy and Keighley will be in good hands - and at least not impoverished by my treatments - with a community like ours. I am just humbly awed by how many people are caring about us! I surely hope that I can beat this condition. (It is called, by the way, "pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor", or PNET - it is what Steve Jobs had, some years ago.) I don't know if conventional therapies can do anything for it, but I also know that insurance is not going to cover any alternative treatments that might. The contributions that people have made to this GoFundMe are extremely appreciated! And even more, is the friendship and the love implied by it. I've got to get through this and stay in the air - I can't let everyone down after this!
-With My Lifelong Gratitude,
Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:50 pm

RobinHastings wrote:Bob, Joe, everyone - thank you so much for doing this for me and my family.

:

-With My Lifelong Gratitude,
Robin

You earned it. Your lifetime of kindness is being returned to you as best we can.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Craig Muhonen » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:42 am

Hello Robin, Craig Muhonen here, and wishing the best out come for you.
I have had conversations with Rick Masters about Tru Niagen, concerning my ongoing medical condition, and after doing research , I feel that this supplement has much value. Also, I have found Zink (but not too much) to be very important, but having an alert, mental capability is as important as anything.

HANG IN THERE ROBIN :salute:

with regards

Craig Muhonen
"grow brave by reflection". And invincible with written words.
Craig Muhonen
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:10 pm

Thank you very much, Craig! I'll investigate all avenues. After evaluating all the pros and cons of conventional chemotherapy (mostly cons) my current treatment will not involve that. I am getting infusions twice a week, and a lot of supplements our doctor recommended. Zinc is one of them, and we can certainly research the Tru Niagen you mentioned. I am optimistic - and certainly planning on flying all I can while I'm trying to get well. And all this happening in the Time of the Great Plague - is there anything else that 2020 is going to throw at us all? It is so great to have friends like all of you!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society