Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: Best Plan to Save Sport of Hang Gliding

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:03 am

Craig Muhonen wrote:H0, Craig Muhonen with respect, writes;
LLoyds of London, backed Hang Gliding 100% in the early 70's with insurance policies ...

Thanks for bringing up the insurance issue Craig. There have been a number of insurance topics here on the U.S. Hawks forum (search topic titles for "insurance"). Your suggestion caused me to find and revive at least one of them. Thanks.

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon May 06, 2024 1:59 pm

I was looking for a place to post the NASA video confirming Galileo's theory, so I searched for his name and found this post:

Bob Kuczewski wrote:I'm trying to think of a time in history when certain thoughts were so feared that they were banned from public discourse by those in power. I'm sure there have been many, but the one that stands out the most to me was Galileo being confined to house arrest ... for publishing that the earth went around the sun.

From Wikipedia:
In February 1616, an Inquisitorial commission declared heliocentrism to be: "foolish and absurd in philosophy, and formally heretical since it explicitly contradicts in many places the sense of Holy Scripture". ... Pope Paul V instructed Cardinal Bellarmine to deliver this finding to Galileo, and to order him to abandon the opinion that heliocentrism was physically true. On 26 February, Galileo was called to Bellarmine's residence and ordered:
... to abandon completely ... the opinion that the sun stands still at the center of the world and the earth moves, and henceforth not to hold, teach, or defend it in any way whatever, either orally or in writing.

Wikipedia goes on ...
  • He was sentenced to formal imprisonment at the pleasure of the Inquisition. On the following day, this was commuted to house arrest, which he remained under for the rest of his life.

• His offending Dialogue was banned; and in an action not announced at the trial, publication of any of his works was forbidden, including any he might write in the future.

Yet Galileo is remembered to this day:

Despite being imprisoned, isolated, and banned, Galileo and his truths were ultimately vindicated.
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:50 pm

Is it True that an Astro not took a Golf Club with him to the Moon? That He either tried, or possibly did drive a Golf ball into Orbit?
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:19 am

Chris McKeon wrote:Is it True that an Astro not took a Golf Club with him to the Moon? That He either tried, or possibly did drive a Golf ball into Orbit?

It's a little off topic, but here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_jYOubJmfM

Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Sat Jul 13, 2024 2:03 pm

OK I have yet to Fly as of late. For I have not flown My Beloved Predator in Fourteen Years. But as I understand it. Paraglider Pilots seem to be Marching on regarding their Quest to totally Dominate Flying sites that were Pioneered by HG Pilots and Their Flex Wings. I remember back in the 80's Paraglider Pilots formulated a Plan to Dominate, and thus take control of our Flying sites. Heck, I do not fault Paraglider Pilots for loving to Fly, we also love to Fly. We HD Pilots should have reached out to Paraglider Pilots. We should have aided them in Their Quest to have a Flying organization, Their very Own Organization. But NO that did not happen. Para gliders simply took our organization from Us Hang Glider Pilots

So, what should We do at this point? I imagine that if there were more HG Pilots flying it would help. Look it was the numbers of Paragliders that allowed them to use Democracy against Us.

I can really understand why I simply just Love to launch from Sites up in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Because locals, that is if You come accross a Local would0will have no idea if the Launch is regulated by USHGPA. If You happened to come across a Local. You will hear a response to Your Query regarding USHGPA by the Local Person saying, what is a USHGA?

Bob; You are going to love launching from Wolf's Peak.
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:23 pm

I say: Save Hang Gliding Commute to Work By Flying Your Hang Glider.
Off Topic, Yea but what the Heck. Driving Golf Balls up on the Moon in My Opinion is just so Cool. It reminds Me Once when this Contractor Predator Pilot Flew My Predator to Work. For there are two types of individuals who Fly to Work. One is James Bond, and the Oter was: {The Big Guy in the Sky|. Both of us Fly the: {Predator|
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dhmartens » Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:08 pm

Fight like hell untill the end. I will go down valiantly

Trump Vance 200% tariff on all paragliders.
dhmartens
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:35 am

The thought did cross My Mind at the Time. So when I learned that Dick Cheeney would no longer be Making Sails for the Predator. The thought of My having John to get Dick Cheney to make Me a new sail, I did consider doing just that. I thought about getting Myself a New Sail. That way Decades later I could rejuvenate My Predator by having John install a new tight Sail. I hate Myself for not doing just that.

Ok: You Guys must get it by now. For I truly have a: {THING} for My Predator. I am not Flying My Predator currently. But i think about Flying my Predator almost all the time. I mean as the Years pass by; I enjoyed being able to extend where I would land when Flying Cross Country. The Predator will cop a pretty good Glide, couple that with its incredible sink rate. Well couple those two aspects together, Sink Rate, along with a good glide. These aspects of My Predators Performance allowed My scenery, what I had to look at below Me to constantly change as the Day progressed.

But these Days I am not Flying. So, I am so much looking forward to John's planned heading up here to Cazadero. John is going to perform an IRAN on My Predator. Well 14 Years ago I pounded My Predator into the ground. Before I am a Hundred Percent regarding My Flying again. I need that the Predator will be Test Flown by John, then given a Clean Bill of Health by John, after He test Flys it.

Being a Long Time Devotee of My Predator. It has been a great thing for Me to have had this now long Friendship with John. By the way: Hi John.
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Craig Muhonen » Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:47 pm

Bob Kuczewski wrote:
Craig Muhonen wrote:H0, Craig Muhonen with respect, writes;
LLoyds of London, backed Hang Gliding 100% in the early 70's with insurance policies ...

Thanks for bringing up the insurance issue Craig. There have been a number of insurance topics here on the U.S. Hawks forum (search topic titles for "insurance"). Your suggestion caused me to find and revive at least one of them. Thanks.

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

:salute:
This clip shows why Lloyds of London fully backed the Telluride Airforce (and their roadies, ha). They understood that the TAF, although being a fledgling club of crazy Hang Glider Pilots, had what it took to fully insure them. I Plumbed for them all and found them to be really great people. On opening day of the ski area Hang Gliders also launched from the top. The only thing the ski area owner required was that the fliers not ware their ski patrol jackets when they flew, and the rest is history. The TAF was instrumental in exactly why Hang Gliding was one of the most popular sports during the 70's, and 80's.

The Telluride Airforce 1971.
https://youtu.be/lRnK562bCxw?si=Bf4-ptVZQsKFognh

The Gold Hill take off became world renowned for high altitude Hang Glider flying until the "flat-lander" parachutists kinda' ruined it.

For all you old timers out there, enjoy, and here are some clips below of one old timer who really loved Telluride and his camera mounts and music choices show how influential this man is.

NEVER FLY A HANG GLIDER - too much fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkPchORtTdw

When the wind blows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmSt4eC0enI

Off and On.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-shwu0e3H-w

Dancing with the antichrist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59pWP5XhoWs

Hang Gliding over Telluride with John Heiney and Craig Pirazzi. (rest in peace Craig, we miss you)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9qK5XKWt24

Thanks John. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Here is a 1978 movie that was put together by Jeff Campbell who was the first Hang Glider Pilot to launch at Telluride Ski Area.

Off The Edge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmfAXYgNVRk

:thumbup:

:salute: :salute: :salute:
Sometimes you gotta' push the stick forward while you're lookn' at the ground
Craig Muhonen
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dhmartens » Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:41 pm

ushawks fights to eliminate paraglider deaths. This eats our budget but we are successful. Selling more hang glidres is another issue we are working on.
dhmartens
Contributor
Contributor

Previous
Forum Statistics