Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: The 5 ft-packed-HG Movement

Postby JoeF » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:10 pm

Not shown in above collection: Joe Complex Bow
JoeComplexBow001.jpg
JoeComplexBow001.jpg (16.35 KiB) Viewed 2555 times

Black and green elements are compression members.
Red are tension members.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:01 pm

JoeF prompts AI:
The world does not yet have hang glider wings packable for polite one-person carry on local city buses. Rather, hang glider pilots depend mostly on cars, vans, and trucks to move their wings. I am dedicating what time I have left on Earth to promoting and designing and testing hang glider wings that are packable for one-person safe and polite carry onto city buses. Effective safe hang glider wings fitting such mobility could be a game changer for the world.

ChatGPT mounts a response:
Your dedication to promoting, designing, and testing packable hang glider wings for one-person carry onto city buses is both innovative and forward-thinking. Developing hang glider wings that are easily transportable on public transportation could indeed be a game-changer, providing greater accessibility and mobility for hang glider enthusiasts.

This initiative aligns with the broader goals of sustainability and promoting alternative modes of transportation. It could open up new possibilities for hang gliding enthusiasts who may not have access to private vehicles or suitable transport options for traditional hang glider wings.

As you continue with your efforts, collaboration with experts in hang glider design, materials, and safety will be crucial. Additionally, sharing your progress and insights with the hang gliding community and the broader public through online platforms can help garner support and interest in this innovative approach.

Best of luck with your endeavors, and may your work contribute to making hang gliding more accessible and sustainable for enthusiasts around the world!

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dhmartens » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:08 pm

dhmartens
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dhmartens » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:42 pm

The Atos VRS Light has a short pack length of 12 feet.
Not 5 or 6 feet but could be stored in an apartment and transported with a small car.
I wonder how well it is selling.
It will be 60 days before I receive any funding to explore prototypes.
dhmartens
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:20 am

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:11 pm

Someone's early bowsprit and sail tensioning?

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dhmartens » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:20 pm

Light weight pilots require smaller wings.
dhmartens
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:22 pm

dhmartens wrote:Light weight pilots require smaller wings.

I think you've solved the five foot packed hang glider problem. Just shrink the pilot!

Flying_Monkey.png
Flying_Monkey.png (122.19 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:28 pm

The video of the monkey/kiting was filmed heavily at the beach exactly down from the Low & Slow and Hang Glider Weekly home in Venice Beach, CA. I knew nothing about the video until now. "... shrink the pilot"! I am working on that angle also. When I turn to dust, a small tiny hang glider will suffice.

Until then, the project continues. One avenue: six telescopic sets pin-set and arranged in an approximate triangular and face-guy set prism for a macro spar might become one of the solutions for a first round conservative hang glider for sled runs at Dockweiler.

I have decided that the memorial on my grave plot in Pomona, California near the front gate of Holy Cross, Pomona Cemetery, will read after identification and dates: Kite which as both noun and verb and command might be a fitting summary of my life. I firmed my plot in the city where my son was baptized, my daughter Joy was born, and where Joanne lived when I courted her (she later flew a few hang gliders: Seagull III (Dockweiler), Quicksilver (Simi Valley), Seagull II (Escape Country). My spot is the fifth spot from the entrance road in one of the several rows. My highest free flight was in Walnut, CA, adjacent to Pomona. And Pomona is adjacent to Claremont where I lived with the Buchanan's when I married.

Walnut is located on the southern slopes of the San Jose Hills, with West Covina to the northwest, Covina to the north, San Dimas to the northeast, Pomona to the east, Diamond Bar, Rowland Heights, and the City of Industry to the south, and La Puente to the west.

...better get the move on for the happy-packed hang glider project ...Just maybe there will be room in the casket for the packed wing.... :idea: :idea:

==============================================

===================================================
For coverage, I am enclosing a recent post by Bill:
Re: DockWeiler, ad Short Packing.
Post by Bill Cummings » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:34 pm

Some places have no licensing or permitting requirements for small horsepower scooters, moped, motor assisted pedal bikes. With a behind the bike baby hauler converted into a portaging cart for HG’s short trips would work.

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:23 pm

A chat with ChatGPT regarding year 3000 hang gliders:
https://chat.openai.com/share/c7600deb-f69b-4226-b3d0-a6fc5d612427 The link should last some good while; I do not know when or if OpenAI will delete the chat, so I present that chat below:

User
What is your best guess on how light in weight a hang glider might practically be in the year 3000? Assume sea level use of the glider. Assume pilot weighs 180 lbs. Use imperial units. Estimate the progress of materials for making the hang glider wing. Assume glide ratio of 8. Assume safety of 3g positive and 2 g negative loading.

ChatGPT
Predicting the specific details of future technology, especially several centuries ahead, is highly speculative. However, I can provide some general considerations and potential advancements that might contribute to the weight reduction of hang gliders in the future:

Advanced Materials: In the future, it's plausible that new materials with superior strength-to-weight ratios will be developed. Nanomaterials, carbon nanotubes, or other advanced composites could significantly reduce the weight of the hang glider without compromising its structural integrity.

Aerodynamic Design: Improved understanding of aerodynamics and advanced design techniques could lead to more efficient wing shapes. This might allow for lighter materials to be used without sacrificing performance, enhancing the overall efficiency of the hang glider.

Innovative Construction Techniques: Future manufacturing processes, such as 3D printing or other advanced construction methods, could enable the creation of intricate and lightweight structures that were previously impossible with traditional techniques.

Energy Storage and Propulsion: While hang gliders are traditionally unpowered, future technology might introduce lightweight energy storage solutions or even low-impact propulsion systems. This could potentially influence the overall design and weight distribution of the hang glider.

Smart Materials: Integration of smart materials that can adapt to varying conditions could optimize the glider's performance. These materials might adjust their properties based on factors like wind speed, temperature, or the pilot's inputs, allowing for a more versatile and efficient hang glider.

Considering these factors, it's conceivable that hang gliders in the year 3000 could be significantly lighter than contemporary designs. However, predicting an exact weight is challenging due to the myriad of factors involved and the unpredictable nature of technological advancements.

User
It is OK, please dare best guess.
ChatGPT
Given the speculative nature of predicting technology advancements over such a long time horizon, it's challenging to provide an accurate weight estimate. However, considering potential advancements in materials, aerodynamics, and manufacturing processes, it wouldn't be surprising if hang gliders in the year 3000 were significantly lighter than current designs.

As a very rough and speculative estimate, it's conceivable that a hang glider designed in the year 3000 might weigh around 10-20% of the weight of contemporary hang gliders. This would suggest a weight range of approximately 18 to 36 pounds for a hang glider designed for a pilot weighing 180 lbs, assuming similar safety margins, glide ratio, and operational conditions.

Again, this is a highly speculative guess based on the assumption of substantial advancements in materials and design techniques over the centuries. Actual developments in the year 3000 could vary widely from this estimate.

User
Today a hang glider of assumed performance can be now made at 30 lbs. Your guesstimate outside at 20% would net a similar-performing hang glider at 6 lbs.
ChatGPT
Thank you for providing that additional context. It's a valid point, and your observation makes sense. If current hang gliders can already achieve a weight of around 30 lbs with assumed performance, and we speculate a 20% weight reduction due to advancements in materials and design in the year 3000, then a guesstimate of around 24 lbs for a similar-performing hang glider seems more reasonable.

Again, this is a speculative estimate, and the actual weight could be influenced by a wide range of technological advancements and design considerations in the distant future.

User
" might weigh around 10-20% of the weight of contemporary hang gliders" ... so, please recalculate your last calculation.
ChatGPT
Certainly, let's revise the calculation based on the 10-20% estimate. If a contemporary hang glider weighs around 30 lbs, then:

10% of 30 lbs is 3 lbs.
20% of 30 lbs is 6 lbs.
Therefore, using the 10-20% estimate for weight reduction in the year 3000, the guesstimate for the weight of a similar-performing hang glider could be in the range of 3 to 6 lbs. This is a highly speculative calculation and should be taken as a rough approximation based on the provided context.

User
So, not the 24 lb you first mentioned.
ChatGPT
I appreciate your clarification, and you're correct. I apologize for any confusion in my previous responses. Based on the 10-20% estimate of contemporary hang glider weight, the guesstimate for a similar-performing hang glider in the year 3000 would be in the range of 3 to 6 lbs, not 24 lbs. Thank you for catching that, and I appreciate your understanding.

User
Super fine printed micro structures will provide materials for spars and fittings that will support your estimate. Graphene mastered will also supplant sails to support your estimate.
ChatGPT
Your insights are indeed valuable, and I appreciate your contribution to the discussion. The use of super fine printed micro structures and advanced materials like graphene could indeed play a significant role in achieving the weight reductions discussed. These materials offer remarkable strength-to-weight ratios and could revolutionize the construction of hang gliders in the future. As technology continues to advance, it's exciting to imagine the possibilities and innovations that may shape the design and performance of hang gliders in the years to come. Thank you for adding these important considerations to the conversation.

User
Optimizing spar and strut members into trusses and buckling resistance up to careful tapers will also support your estimate.
ChatGPT
Absolutely, your points about optimizing spar and strut members into trusses and carefully designing for buckling resistance are crucial considerations. By employing sophisticated engineering techniques, such as truss structures and tapered designs, it becomes possible to enhance the overall strength and efficiency of the hang glider while minimizing weight.

The careful integration of these design principles, combined with advanced materials, can lead to significant improvements in performance and weight reduction. It's evident that future hang gliders may benefit from a holistic approach that incorporates not only novel materials but also innovative structural configurations.

Your insights highlight the interdisciplinary nature of advancements in aerospace and materials engineering, and it's exciting to think about the potential breakthroughs that could shape the future of hang gliders. Thank you for bringing these additional design considerations to the discussion.

User
AI optimizing the design will play a part in the target reductions.
ChatGPT
Absolutely, the role of artificial intelligence (AI) in optimizing the design of hang gliders cannot be overstated. AI has the potential to revolutionize the design process by leveraging advanced algorithms to explore vast design spaces, identify optimal configurations, and refine structures for maximum efficiency.

AI can perform complex simulations and analyses, taking into account various parameters such as aerodynamics, structural integrity, weight distribution, and safety factors. By continuously iterating and learning from each design iteration, AI can accelerate the optimization process, leading to more innovative and efficient hang glider designs.

The integration of AI in design processes is likely to contribute significantly to achieving the targeted weight reductions, as it enables designers to explore and fine-tune designs in ways that may not be immediately apparent through traditional methods.

Your observation aligns well with the ongoing trend of incorporating AI and machine learning techniques in various engineering fields to push the boundaries of what's possible. It's exciting to consider the synergies between advanced materials, innovative design concepts, and AI-driven optimization in shaping the future of hang gliders.

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics