Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: Predator Model

Postby Chris McKeon » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:25 pm

I just thought that I would let You Guys know that I am doing things to finally get beyond Spasticity. I stand balancing on My right Leg. I then let Myself Fall Forward. then while My Left Leg is bent at the Knee. I fall forward, thus I must need to extend My Left Leg to prevent My self from falling Forward. This exercise allows Me to engage the extensor Muscles in My Left Leg. a couple of Years ago, if I did this I would simply fall Face first onto the Ground. One way or another I will return to Cloud Base, Cloud Base and Higher than Cloud Base.

Question is there anywjhere in the US where a Pilot can Fly up to 25,000 Feet legally?
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon May 20, 2024 2:19 am

I just happened upon the unfinished Predator model in this topic, and it dawned on me that I could approximate the real measurements by scaling the wingspan of the picture (measured in pixels) to match the known wing span of a Predator (35 feet, 4 inches). So I've filled in this table with the approximate values after scaling. Please beware that these may not be accurate. In particular, the original photo was plan view, so there were no good measurements for the control bar height or the kingpost height. Even so, I think these values will provide a sanity check for Chris if he decides to measure his Predator before coming to Dockweiler. If the real measurements aren't at least reasonably close to these estimates, then there may be a misunderstanding of what should be measured. I hope it helps.

#Name   Estimate   Description
1Length of Leading Edge19'   11.85"Length of the leading edge from nose to tip
2Length of Keel12'   11.17"Length of the keel
3Keel Front y9'   4.19"Distance from the origin to the front tip of the keel
4Keel Rear y3'   6.98"Distance from the origin to the rear tip of the keel
5Wing Tip x17'   8"Distance from the origin to the right wing tip
6Wing Tip z0'   4.37"Vertical distance between the origin and right wing tip (this might be hard to measure, so just estimate it)
7Control Bar Height5'   0"Vertical distance from the base tube to the keel (perpendicular distance from the keel to the base tube)
8Control Bar Width6'   5.95"Width of the base tube from corner to corner
9Control Bar Location5'   5.17"Distance along the keel from the nose to the apex of the control frame
10Control Bar Rake1'   7.67"Horizontal distance along the keel from the apex of the control frame to the base tube (this may be hard to measure, so just estimate it)
11Cross Bar at Leading Edge11'   9.52"Distance along the leading edge from nose to cross bar junction where the cross bar meets the leading edge
12Cross Bar at Keel4'   6.31"Distance along the keel from the nose to the cross bar where it crosses the keel
13Cross Bar z from Keel0'   5.09"Vertical distance between the keel and the cross bar (typically 0 to a few inches)
14Kingpost at Keel5'   5.17"Distance along the keel from the nose to the kingpost (you can also measure from the rear of the keel and subtract from the keel length)
15Kingpost Height3'   0.42"Vertical distance (perpendicular to keel) from the keel to top of the kingpost
16Kingpost Rake0'   2.18"Horizontal distance (parallel to keel) between top and bottom of kingpost
17Trailing Edge6'   9.59"Distance along the keel from the nose to the trailing edge of the sail
18Rear Wire9'   8.38"Distance along the keel from the nose to the rear wire where it attaches to the keel

Also, here's the picture that goes along with those measurements:

Glider_Measurements_Numbered.gif
Glider_Measurements_Numbered.gif (1.79 MiB) Viewed 801 times
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Mon May 20, 2024 9:26 pm

I have had a lot of time to think. in the last 14 Years I have had so many thoughts go through My Head regarding Flying. How truly Lucky that We can as John said: We can Break away grom this Gravity secured Gravity secured penitentiary that we all exist in. I mean I look at My Predator with a truly deep sense of appreciation. For I do not know how long it was, but I would Fly My Predator Launching from the same Mountains as My Friends Who Flew Their Topless Gliders. MY Predator always seemed to deliver a good accounting of itself. The way I looked at Flying, Flying XC specifically That the overriding criteria that would be the factor regarding if You would or would not be able to stay up in the Air was in My case My Predators as Zac said: The Predator has a Phenomenal Sink Rate". I owed My successes while Flying XC routes purely to My Predators awesome ability to remain Airborne. During these Flights I merely hung from the Carbiener. Yes, I did steer the Glider. But come on! I am no Hero Pilot. All the Credit goes to John Heiney, Dick Chainey. and I am not sure who else should take the Credit.

Bob said to Me Once; I just simply love to be up in the Air. Sounds like a Predator Pilot to Me. Now that I am weighing just under Two Hundred Pounds. I believe that I May have to make a Change to the Size Predator that I will Fly. I very well might need to talk with John regarding finding Me a small 142 Predator.
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Wed May 22, 2024 4:01 pm

OK: What Makes a Glider Grat? I mean for some Pilots, it may be an easy handling, Glider. It Might be A Glider. A glider that just responds to Your Imputes immediately, while not necessitating Much effort by the Pilot. The Glider Might be able to Fly far because of the attributes that I just listed. For Me that Glider is My 158 Predator. I see that the fact that one can no longer be Purchased New. This a real detriment to Pilots such as Myself, oh Twenty Years ago. I mean I went from Flying My Wills Wing Falcon 225. to after John sold Me My Predator. All I can say is that I have experienced in success that can be measured by a whole Slew of successful Launches. I have had More successful Out-Landings than I can count.

If You are a Pilot Who is looking for a fulfilling Cross Country Flight or many More XC Flights than just One. simply just simply loves to "Stick Their Landings". So if You are wanting to have Great Fulfilling Flying Flights. Get Yourself a Predator. For a Predator will not let You Down.
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:23 pm

It really trips Me out how a HG Pilot that I know does not care about how a given Glider performs. I mean aspects regarding how a Wing performs while Flying through the Air is paramount to if You will be able to stay Airborne. And is that not what We all want to be? I mean: "Anytime that One can spend in the Air. Is it not better to be up Flying than to be on the Ground?

So no i do not know how when the Performance on a Given Glider excelling regarding an aspect of its Performance. No, I do not get how that Reality not only does not interest, but a Pilot also who displaces a sense of irritation to My simply describing how Much I love how My Predator Performs. I mean when it comes down to it. The utterly overwhelming reality of why I was able to remain Airborne on a given XC route, is because I was Flying My Predator.

I say Predator, Yes Flying My Predator, is sometghing I hope to do for a long time to come. I mean: Predator all the Time!
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:18 pm

Chris McKeon wrote:It really trips Me out how a HG Pilot that I know does not care about how a given Glider performs.

I am not sure who you're talking about (possibly me?), but I'll give you my thoughts either way.

If you look at the history of human flight, it was pretty much non-existent for the bulk of our time as a species. People have only been reasonably able to fly for roughly 100 years of our roughly 1,000,000 year history. And of that 100 years of "reasonable" flight, it's only been in the last 50 or so years that we've been able to really soar for hours with any degree of convenience and safety.

So when I compare our modern ability to soar for hours (with reasonable convenience and safety) to the millions of years of flightless human history, I am very happy to be here. We live in the very tiny slice of human history where we can really fly like birds!

And that brings up my most important question for you Chris:

If there were only single surface gliders in the world (no Predator), and you still owned your Falcon 225, would you be happy or unhappy to fly it?

Please think about it and let me know. Thanks.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Wed Aug 07, 2024 8:25 am

Ok Bob, here are a few of My Thoughts regarding Flying. First off if I indeed do get to Fly for the First time since when I pounded 14 Years ago. No matter where it is that I will Launch a Hang Glider it will be the Greatest Flight, no correct that. It will be the Greatest thing that I have ever done, or ever will do in My Life. I always had a high level of appreciation for what We Call Free-Flight. But now My anticipation has risen to a fever Pitch. I mean I believe that I might Fly off a Training Hill or A sand Dune. The Flight Might only be measured in Seconds regarding the Flights duration. I have an enhanced appreciation for Flight Since I was injured. Remember: I was supposed to be on par Mentally with a Potato, and never walk again. This was said to My Sister by a Doctor, 14 Years ago. I have.

I have an enhanced appreciation for what We are: {BLESSED} to be able to do. Also, a big Thank You to John for His willing nest to drive up here so that I can have an opportunity to Make a Jail Break. Thank You John.
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Thu Aug 08, 2024 6:05 pm

{Class will be in Session}

I remember way back when I First Flew My Predator. I got Myself some altitude, then I slowed the glider to Mush Mode Speed. Then I balled up and stuffed the var. I held the bar back so as to build speed Build in My Energy Dive. It felt just so cool! at the bottom of My Energy Dive I initiated a little bit of roll input. I know that this what I am describing is just a standard Wing Over maneuver, But You should know that My former Glider, that was My WW Falcon 225, was an absolute Dawg in comparison. I felt like I was Flying an F-104! I had previously done My First try doing a Wingover Flying My Predator. I had attempted to do Wingovers while Flying My Falcon. I had tried to do Wing Overs Flying My Falcon. But they were not really Wingovers when I did the crude rendition of a Wingover Flying My 225 Falcon. I merely did where I banked the Glider up. But I would not call what I did a Wungover. But when I Balled Up and Dove My Predator. I was thinking to Myself. I must get Me one of these, What a Ride!

I have things to look forward to with My Falcon. Such as doing a Straight-Up Over the Top One Hundred- and Eighty-Degree Wingover. I plan on Picking John's Brain regarding doing steep Wing Overs. Yes, I need to be very determined in learning all the aspects off: [{ENEERGY 101]/ Isn't Flying a Grand Thing? I think back to where I read something that Larry Tudor once said: {"Always the Student},
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:29 pm

Lift Quantified, possibly?

IO have had this Thought; I am wondering if possibly it could be found out just why the Predators Wing Develops such a Great Sink Rate? I mean Why could Wings be scaled down iin size as a Model. Then the Model could have lead line attached to the Hang point of the Model where the corresponding point on the Predator itself being where the attachment is on the Full-Size Predator. The Line could be attached to a scale that would read out how much lift the wing makes at different Air Speeds that flowed over the Wing. I know, and I am going to talk more about just why the Predator develops so much lift. Other Wings could be made as models, so as to allow comparison.
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:35 pm

Lift Quantified, possibly?

IO have had this Thought; I am wondering if possibly it could be found out just why the Predators Wing Develops such a Great Sink Rate? I mean Why could Wings be scaled down iin size as a Model. Then the Model could have lead line attached to the Hang point of the Model where the corresponding point on the Predator itself being where the attachment is on the Full-Size Predator. The Line could be attached to a scale that would read out how much lift the wing makes at different Air Speeds that flowed over the Wing. I know, and I am going to talk more about just why the Predator develops so much lift. Other Wings could be made as models, so as to allow comparison.
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics