Semi-private forum for members contributing to the US Hawks Hang Gliding Training Manual
Forum rules
This forum is for contributing to a US Hawks Hang Gliding Training Manual. Posts in this forum may be moved around as the manual takes shape over time. Please feel free to comment on the organization (or reorganization) of the posts as needed.

Re: Speeds to Fly

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue Aug 13, 2024 6:05 pm

Hi Chris,

This topic is in the "US Hawks Training Manual Project" forum:

Forum rules wrote:This forum is for contributing to a US Hawks Hang Gliding Training Manual. Posts in this forum may be moved around as the manual takes shape over time. Please feel free to comment on the organization (or reorganization) of the posts as needed.

The idea is that each post should be contributing ideas that might end up in a shared training manual. It's OK to have a few off-topic posts sprinkled in, but we do want most of the posts to address the specific topic listed in the title.

Thanks.
Bob
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Sun Aug 18, 2024 2:51 pm

Bob: You said that You Flew Dreams and Falcons. I had a Two Twenty-Five Falcon that Robb Kells sold Me as My first Glider. I do not know about Flying a Dream. But when I Flew My 225 Falcon, I have no Memory of having to give Way to another Glider while I was in a Thermal. No, I did not have to give up and let them core through Me. If I did have to give way it was only like once or twice. I seriously doubt that I had to give way to some Double Surface Glider. Then when I switched to Flying My 158 Predator. My Flying literally: {TOOK OFF!} For I know that Flying Cross Country is frowned upon here on the Forum. I really do not understand Why Flying Cross Country is frowned upon, but nevertheless it is not. How should I say this? Flying is not encouraged here on the Hawks Website.

While it is True that when I have launched from Mountains along with Higher Performance: {Topless Gliders} Wo also launched from the same Mountain on the Same Day. Well because of the Fact that They did not have Luft lines causing excessive Drag. Therefore, these Topless Gliders were able to Fly Down to where They would land before I would land.

Yes, Topless Gliders could Fly Faster than My Predator. But I was never concerned with the speed with which that My Predator could get to the Ground.

Well, the way that I see it. Except if I happen to land on the top of some Mountain somewhere, thus enabling Me to relaunch My Predator. Well, if I land somewhere on Flat ground Ny Flying for the Day is over.

Bob, I feel the same way about Flying as you do. I think that You once said it like this: I just simply love to be up in the Air Flying. So, do I. I love to be up in the Air Flying My Predator!

Also so as to have this Post be: On Subject:

One of things that I am looking forward to talking to John about is: Managing My Speed through a Hundred- and Eighty-Degree Wing-Over.

Yes I will have My ears attentively listening to John as He tells ME about the Nuisances of energy management during Aerobatics.

https://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic ... a2b#p35004
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Aug 19, 2024 12:44 pm

Chris McKeon wrote:... I know that Flying Cross Country is frowned upon here on the Forum.

Hello Chris,

I think you may have confused a few things.

First, this forum is a place where pilots can communicate with each other and express their individual opinions. Major decisions about the U.S. Hawks (including the Forum) are voted on by the U.S. Hawks Advisory Board. I just implement the Advisory Board's policies.

Second, I have read every decision ever issued by the U.S. Hawks Advisory Board, and the Board has not issued any decisions opposing or criticizing cross country flight. Indeed, some of our Board members have been cross country enthusiasts.

Third, I think you are confused about my own position on cross country flight. I am not opposed to cross country flying. But I personally like to keep a safe landing zone within reasonable glide of my glider. Since I generally fly a single surface glider, that's a fairly restricted range for me. But other people are free to make their own decisions and accept the consequences of those decisions. I am perfectly fine with that.

Fourth, and finally, I think some of your confusion arises from my replies to your frequent statements that "A day without XC (cross country) is like a day without sunshine". I have pointed out that flying is a joy to many pilots without ever flying cross county, and that it's a bit arrogant and condescending to imply otherwise. I have also pointed out that flying within easy glide of an established landing zone has some safety advantages. Those are my own personal opinions, and I don't try to force them on others in any way.

I hope that helps you understand my position.
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Tue Aug 20, 2024 8:03 am

Flying is just such s great thing to do. I mean; I feel so blessed to be able to have flown for Twenty plus Years. I want to make perfectly clear that I do not see Flying Off a Training Hill, or boating along in ridge lift, or Flying XC Routes, where one area of flight is any {better} or {Safer} than any other section of land on a given Day is any real way, I mean conditions generally do not change in dramatic ways in say an hour or less in time. I feel honored and blessed to have Flown for just Two Decades. I hope, and I pray that I will be able to launch a HG again. I mean for Me being able to Fly again was not ever discussed back fourteen Years ago. When I first was carted off to the John Muir Hospital in Walnut creek. Heck the sole reason that I was even at John Muir Hospital, was because I had just Pounded Myself into the ground. The Doctors who tended to Me did not see that along with their Help and work that II would ever get back to being a hundred percent recovered. "He will never be much better Mentally than a Potato, and He will never walk again".

So, I do believe that if and when I will stand holding a Glider pointing the nose into the wind. standing upon say some training hill somewhere. Just being able to stand while holding a Glider will be awesome! For Me to be able to launch a Glider for Me will be a "Life Event" of the Greatest Magnitude

This whole experience, from My Pounding rite up to Today. This has been a wild Humbling Life experience.
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:47 pm

[Speed: I like Speed]

So, I am now up here in Sonoma County. I will be heading over to Willams where I am going to see if I will be able to get a Flight in a Sailplane with a ratted Pilot who will sit in the back seat. I want to continue My efforts to return to My Happy Place, my happy Place is up in the Sky!

I really need to learn more about: "Speeds to Fly". When lying My Predator really the only time that I worried about slowing down was when I was flying, Circling around and around. But upon topping out in a Thermal, I would pull on some Speed in order to cover ground, yes, I want to cover as Much ground as possible, extend My Horizon. Speed in getting flights completed. I once had 13 Flights that started from Me launching Mount Diablo. The Fourteenth landing that day was Wheb I had landed at a US Air Force Property Field; there I had an encounter with a Couple of Pissed off MP-s telling Me that I had just Flown in restricted Air Space. But everything calmed down My Driver Bud H came and got Me and My Predator.

Maybe, possibly if I had a better understanding of Speeds to Fly By, I would have flown well over Fifty Miles, instead of My being on the Ground be chastised for Flying where I Flew, and Landing Where I will be able to purse Free-Flight. For when I am up in the Air Flying, I am so free,
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Sun Sep 15, 2024 12:11 pm

I was once talking to a Friend of Mine once. He asked Me what it felt like to Fly? I replied that there are numerous Feelings, most of which are Quite Pleasent. First; When I first launch, during My having walking, jogging, running My Predator into the Wind. As the Harness Straps begin to be Taut. I [Feel] the weight on My Feet becoming less. As I become Airborne. I [Feel a sense of Joy}. When I am Flying an XC route. There have been times when I would be getting quite low. I have had Moments of Dread that I would soon have to do what thing that none of Us ever want to be forced to do. The thing that does happen to us when We are Flying. We will have to, even though We dread the thought of actually having to land, Feeling as though I am, and have failed I have to Land. I might have to accept the enviable. Then simply set-Up a DBF and Land.

But the way I see it, I Feel Honored to be in the situation where I would - Will have to Land.

We are all so blessed to have lived in this sliver of time where We can Fly. Flying My Predator has giving Me tremendous amount of Pleasure.

So I have babbled enough here. Good BY/

The Soon to Be: Phoenix Guy in the Sky.
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:41 pm

Back when I was Flying Cross Country. Regarding the Speed at which I flew while on Glide between Thermals. I'm pretty Shure that a lot of the time, that I flew too fast. I want to look into things such getting Myself a Speed ring, and learning about Speeds to Fly. But I never did. Now that I am grounded. I believe that now is the time for me to learn more about the subject

Does anyone have some links to share regarding Speeds to Fly,?
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue Sep 24, 2024 12:19 pm

Chris McKeon wrote:Does anyone have some links to share regarding Speeds to Fly,?

Here are a few resources that I found with a quick search:

I haven't read any of them all the way through, but the last one looks like it might be best for technical details. I've attached it below. I've also included a video with some practical tips from the sailplane folks. Please add any additional resources that you find helpful. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqDWkloLJZg

Attachments
em_speed_to_fly.pdf
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:47 pm

IJ, Bob: Thanks for the links that I will go through them a few times. Regarding Sped, Speeds to Fly. As of now; {Tuesday September Twenty forth} I have not seen the links. But nevertheless, you can bet Your bottom dollar,

As I have said in a Previous Post or Two: Regarding Sped between Thermals. I believe that I did not do Myself that many favors by simply Topping out in a Thermal. Then Pulling the Bar in. What can I say regarding pulling in on the Bar for some Speed? I have always had such a sense of Confidence in My Predator that My Friend John Heiney Designed. When Thermals were weak and not so strong the Predator really does excel. JOHN: I like You can hardly wait to see how y losing a Hundred Pounds is going to affect My Predators rate of Climb. I look back before I pounded. Even though I never saw My Bathroom scale register Three Hundred Pounds. The Morning of Sunday March Twenty-Eight though. I saw Two Hundred and Ninety-eight Pounds.

The Predators ability to Climb loaded as Heavy as i did. Simply blew My Mind! I mean wat a Wing!

I can see it now. Since I will be lite on My Predator, 198 pounds, I will be lite. I believe thar if I am in a real strong Thermal, saw in the Owens Valley. I will need to use My Hook Knife and My Parachute in order to that I will be able to get Myself down.
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Sep 25, 2024 11:45 pm

Chris McKeon wrote:I believe that I did not do Myself that many favors by simply Topping out in a Thermal. Then Pulling the Bar in.

Part of the joy of flying hang gliders is the freedom to make the glider do what you feel like doing at the time. It's fun to play along a ridge when you feel like playing along a ridge. It's fun to test your thermalling skills when you want to test your thermalling skills. It's fun to test your spot landing accuracy when you want to test your spot landing accuracy.

But it's also important (as with other sports such as swimming, skiing, mountain biking) to know your limits and to ensure that you always have a safe path available.

Some people enjoy the technical challenge of maximizing their performance with the latest glider and the latest high-tech equipment. That's fine for them, but for me, an obsession on performance and technology can detract from the pure joy of flying. So I try to keep it simple and safe.

Rather than compare myself to the pilot with the hottest glider (and be disappointed), I prefer to compare myself to a pilot flying a bamboo butterfly (and am elated). Even better, I compare myself to all the people through the ages who could only dream of flying ... anything. When I think in those terms, I'm on top of the world every flight. :)
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics