Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: The 5 ft-packed-HG Movement

Postby Chris McKeon » Thu Oct 17, 2024 8:39 pm

OK, I have a Question. Is Anyone Flying XC, Then upon landing. Are Pilots, or a Pilot Breaking down Their Gliders. Then calling a service, it could be UBER, or a Taxi Service, or heck A Bus Company in order to get Back to their Vehicle" I think that the Idea of this Concept that Enables a Pilot to Fly a Cross Country Flight, then upon experiencing that Dreaded repulsive condition. Yes, after the Pilot has to do that filthy Word: They would have to land! After They had to land. They could take out Their Phone and Contact Suitable Transportation.

What I want to know is this: Has anyone used this great Idea to solve Their Delema, Their Delema of Not being able to Fly XC because of the Fact that Pilots do not have a Drive?
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dhmartens » Thu Oct 17, 2024 9:05 pm

Thank you Semper Fidelis
Semper Fidelis
Contributor
Contributor

But as a close friend Orion Price once said (he passed away 6 momths after an ankle injury after landing on the coast of Malibu), "If there is no video then it did not happen".

Please provide video. Thank you. And congratulations.

My telescopic glider is complete but I am unable to market it as a weapon system without a license. So I am seeking a manufacturer who already has a license.
dhmartens
Contributor
Contributor

TPHGs Re: The 5 ft-or-less-packed-HG Movement

Postby JoeF » Fri Oct 18, 2024 7:24 am

Doug, maybe market it as a sports' implement, toy, gift, freedom tool, ...? :?: :?:

=====================================================================
Chris, if the TPHG is packed and wheeled or with a rough-terrain guarded slide undersurface,
maybe just hike; perhaps pause and use sail segments and frame to form a napping tent?
Maybe in due time on the adventure, hike to another launch.

In due time, my guess: we will see various videos of Semper Fidelis' TPHG 4.6 in various situations.
And I bet we will know the details of the structure.
And at some moment we will know about testing and flying the TPHG 4.6.
And eventually, I guess, we will become aware of happy ways of being with his or others' TPHG;
any particular design will have its individual satisfactory use path and placements.

Development Note:
Hoops can be formed from slats or rods. Additionally, preformed hoops
may nest telescopically when the diameters are properly chosen.
These hoops could be used for shaping aerodynamic curves in TPHG wing coverings.
Hoops may surround the LE meta spar or be positioned behind the spar and tied to it.

Decisions about TPHGs:
DecisionFreedomConsequencesHG.jpg
DecisionFreedomConsequencesHG.jpg (49.95 KiB) Viewed 339 times
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris McKeon » Fri Oct 18, 2024 8:40 am

Joe: You do not Know Me. We have never had the opportunity to Discuss 825-597-1059 how if I had the ability to Breakdown My predator, this could b assist Me in getting My Predator over a couple Miles of Rough Terraine.

It has not happened so far. Also, I have been taking an extended sabbatical from Flying XC, heck I have not Flown in Fourteen Years. I just worry that because I suffered a TBI, I worry that the Most trivial mundane things regarding aspects of Flight. I worry that for example: I will have completely Forgotten How TO whack!

So Joe, please call Me: 925 - 497 - 1059. That way You and I can talk about the possibility of My being able to Short Pack My Predator. Good By Chris McKeon.
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:45 pm

Chris, I have called you before. We are not fully strangers; and I check out your posts in our forum.
I do not recommend short packing your Predator. And thus, I do not recommend packing to "tiny pack" of 5 ft or less.
============================================================================================
============================================================================================
http://www.upgliders.com/predator/

64 lb Predator 142
67 lb Predator 158
(not TPHGs)
Predator Pilot Update (2005)
=====================================================
Altair/UP Saturn 167 � a review by Morgan Hall
(not a TPHG)
=======================================================
Development note regarding tiny packing (5 ft or less in pack length) a hang glider:
Probably there has not been enough attention on describing pack volume, pack net weight, packing using more than one pack, "worn-as-clothing" potentials, wearing of harness and helmet during parts of the tote, fragility of a design, SS vs DS, flight envelope, and more.
========================================================
ChatGPT AI wrote:In summary, Dyneema lines in your Tiny Packed Hang Glider (TPHG) will provide significant performance advantages due to their high strength-to-weight ratio. However, this choice comes with the need for diligent maintenance and vigilance from pilots.

- The sheathed Dyneema used for cross lines will enhance the glider's performance and passive safety, as it can better withstand the forces encountered during flight.
- Regular inspections will be crucial to ensure the lines remain intact, focusing on signs of wear such as fraying or abrasions.
- As an experienced pilot, you must remain attentive to subtle changes in the TPHG's performance characteristics, which could indicate line deterioration.

In essence, the trade-offs associated with using sheathed Dyneema lines are worthwhile for maximizing both efficiency and safety in your Tiny Packed Hang Glider.

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Sun Oct 20, 2024 8:29 pm

Though not "tiny" packed, sense some matters for the present movement from

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Mon Oct 21, 2024 7:42 am

Birds pack their wings in some neat ways; some lessons toward TPHG may come from those bird methods for packing their wings:

I was told by a friend (Frank Colver) that in natural federal or state parks, it is illegal to pick up feathers from the ground. What have you toward such a notion?

ChatGPT said:

Your friend is correct in many cases. In the United States, it is generally illegal to collect feathers from the ground in federal or state parks due to laws aimed at protecting wildlife. These laws are in place for several reasons, including preserving natural ecosystems and preventing harm to bird populations. Two main regulations support this prohibition:

1. The Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA)
The MBTA, enacted in 1918, is a federal law that protects over 1,000 species of migratory birds. Under this law, it is illegal to possess, collect, or transport feathers, nests, or eggs from these birds without a special permit. The law applies to all parts of the bird, whether alive or dead, including feathers found on the ground, even if they have been naturally shed. The goal is to prevent any disturbance to bird populations and ensure their conservation.

2. State Park and Federal Land Regulations
Many state and national parks have additional rules that prohibit the collection of natural objects, including feathers, rocks, plants, and other materials. This is done to maintain the natural environment, ensure that wildlife has access to essential resources, and allow other visitors to enjoy the area without disruption. Removing objects, including feathers, can alter ecosystems and disturb the balance of the park.

Exceptions:

Certain Species: While the MBTA covers many bird species, it does not include some non-native or invasive species, such as pigeons or starlings. However, it's essential to confirm the regulations of the specific area you are in before collecting anything.
Permits: Scientists, educators, or researchers can apply for special permits to collect feathers or other wildlife materials for study.
Even though picking up a feather might seem harmless, these regulations help protect wildlife and preserve natural habitats for future generations.

How Do Birds Pack Away Their Wings?

Birds pack away their wings in a highly efficient manner through a combination of biological engineering and evolutionary optimization, ensuring minimal drag and a streamlined body shape when not in flight. The folding mechanism of a bird's wing can be analyzed from an engineering perspective by breaking it down into several key elements: structural components (bones), joints, and muscles that control movement.

1. Wing Structure and Bones
Bird wings are supported by a skeletal structure analogous to a human arm. The primary bones include:
  • Humerus (upper arm)
  • Radius and Ulna (forearm)
  • Carpometacarpus (fused hand bones)
The wing is divided into three sections: the upper arm, the forearm, and the hand (primaries). When folding the wing, these segments are aligned and brought close to the body.

2. Joints and Degrees of Freedom
Bird wings have several key joints that enable complex folding:
  • Shoulder Joint: This ball-and-socket joint allows the wing to extend and retract, similar to the human shoulder. It provides significant mobility for the bird to lift and spread its wings or tuck them in.
  • Elbow Joint: This hinge joint controls the bending of the wing. When the bird is landing or resting, it folds its wing at the elbow to bring the forearm section closer to the body.
  • Wrist Joint: The wrist allows for the folding of the "hand" section, bringing the primaries (the longest flight feathers) inward and reducing the wingspan.
Each of these joints provides a degree of freedom necessary for flight control and compact folding when the wings are retracted.

3. Muscle Control and Tendons
Birds have evolved specific muscles that control wing movement. For wing folding:
  • Pectoralis Minor: Helps control the downward movement of the wing.
  • Supracoracoideus: Controls the upward movement during flight and retraction of the wing.
The muscles work in concert with tendons, particularly the tendon locking mechanism, which maintains the wings in a folded position with minimal muscular effort. This is an energy-efficient feature, akin to the mechanical locking systems used in deployable structures.

4. Feather Integration
Feathers also play a critical role in wing folding. When the wings fold, feathers overlap in a smooth, layered arrangement. The primary feathers (on the hand) and secondary feathers (on the forearm) are designed to compress into each other, much like the folding of a fan. This reduces the overall surface area, streamlining the bird’s body to reduce air resistance and protect the feathers from damage.

5. Streamlining and Compactness
From an engineering standpoint, birds achieve optimal compactness and streamlining by folding the longest parts of the wing—the primary feathers—tightly against the body, with the humerus and radius/ulna folding inward. This minimizes the bird’s cross-sectional area, reducing drag during non-flight activities like walking or perching.

Engineering Comparison:
The wing-folding mechanism in birds can be compared to deployable structures used in aerospace and robotics, such as retractable solar panels or compactible drone arms. These systems often use a combination of articulated joints and flexible materials to transition from an extended to a compact configuration, much like the bird’s use of its joints and feather arrangement. Similarly, birds achieve this folding with a balance of mobility and rigidity, allowing for both flight and storage efficiency.

In Summary:
Birds pack their wings away by folding at the shoulder, elbow, and wrist joints, pulling the wing's structural components close to the body and layering feathers in a streamlined fashion. This is an elegant solution that optimizes space and energy, comparable to how engineers design deployable systems in aerospace and other fields.

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Mon Oct 21, 2024 9:23 am

This is not a recommendation of the supplier.
This is just to save the deal.

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Tue Oct 22, 2024 8:16 am

Tube Nests

Tiny packing can involve tube nesting.
Here’s a teaser image suggesting 4-foot long tubes with varying outer and inner diameters (ODs and IDs), allowing for eight tubes to nest within one another. Shown are two sets of eight tubes, resulting in two final nests. Except for the innermost tube, all tubes should be free of any interior or exterior obstructions to ensure smooth nesting. It's important to clean the tubes thoroughly before nesting for optimal fit and performance. To protect the ends of the nests and to prevent accidental "denesting" two caps may be kited to hold the nests stable and protect the ends of the tubes involved.
8and8fitTwoNests.jpg
8and8fitTwoNests.jpg (30.61 KiB) Viewed 14 times
:
:arrow: Similar nests with fewer tubes may be adequate.
:arrow: Square, triangular, hexagon, octagonal, round, or other cross sectioned tubes may be considered.
:arrow: The most inner tube nested might have yet some fill, perhaps rods or whiskers.
:arrow: A third nest might be in some pack for a TPHG.
:arrow: A global tube set, perhaps for forming keel might hold the three mentioned nests; such would be a global nest with the three other nests inside. Then the global nest might be the core for wrapping sail segments. Then the tiny pack globally would be: O with spaces next to the three inner nests for small-OD rib tube segments. Then Joe Cups, rigging anchors, and crosslines would be in secondary packs.

=================================================================================== :idea:

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Previous
Forum Statistics